Interpreting new IPC pattern names

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Exality

Interpreting new IPC pattern names

#1 Post by Exality » 10 Jun 2020, 05:15

The new IPC pattern names and generator in 4.0 is nice to see and looks like a good standardization. When I look at pattern library names though, it's hard to find one that matches the component I'm creating. I can see what some of what the pattern name means, but not all.

For example, SOP8P65_300X490X105L55X31L. It's clear that this is an SOP style package, 8 pins, .65 mm pin pitch. Measuring the pattern, though, I can't see what the other numbers represent. Is there a guide to interpreting these new IPC pattern names? It would make identifying the correct one (or a close enough one) much easier than the random hunt-and-measure method I'm using now.
Gerrit

Serg
Technical Support

Re: Interpreting new IPC pattern names

#2 Post by Serg » 11 Jun 2020, 00:06

There is the "Name Description" field that decode every symbol of Name.
Attachments
descr.png
descr.png (117 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Exality

#3 Post by Exality » 11 Jun 2020, 04:12

Thank you, Serg. You can search for the manufacturer's package name (the Unique Name) too, which is also nice.

Why do the IPC names contain the lead dimensions rather than the pad size, though? Manufacturers give suggested patterns for their parts, not based on lead dimensions, so you can't find a pattern from the IPC name which matches the manufacturer's suggested pattern.
Gerrit

Serg
Technical Support

#4 Post by Serg » 11 Jun 2020, 20:01

Yes, IPC Name doesn't contain the pad dimensions. This is theirs solution.
If you have the datasheet which contains the device sizes you can find IPC Name by these sizes. Aslo, you can use the manufacturer pads. To do it:
- run Pattern Generator,
- switch to "Use Pattern Dimensions Recommended by Manufacturer" item,
- enter values and Recalculate.

Exality

#5 Post by Exality » 12 Jun 2020, 04:35

Thanks, I will try that.
Gerrit