PCB silkscreen

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Haz

PCB silkscreen

#1 Post by Haz » 15 Apr 2020, 21:58

Hi,

I have been away from Diptrace for a while and just started off again. Schematic is done and will be posting some questions on the other forums, but for the PCB, I have a few questions:
1- how do I go through a PCB design and change the position of the silkscreen refdes for each part?
2- how do I resize the font? the imported font is too large and I want to re-position away from the neighboring pads and make the font smaller so it is not taking up a lot of space on the board but still be legible.
3- what's he smallest font size you have used and still printed properly on the physical PCB? Probably vendor dependent, but a indication is ok for me.

I am using 4.0 Beta Extended

thanks,
H-

Tomg
Expert

Re: PCB silkscreen

#2 Post by Tomg » 16 Apr 2020, 08:56

1) Press softkey [F10] to activate "Move component texts" (you should see the Hint area indicate the mode change). Using the mouse, left-drag the text to the desired location. Rotation is also possible while dragging the text by pressing the [Space] bar or the "r" hotkey.

2) For a local change right-click on the component (not its pads) and select "Properties..." in the pop-up menu to bring up the Component Properties dialog window. In the Component Properties dialog window select the [Markings] tab, enable the [x]Custom Font Size: and [x]Component Marking Font for Text Object options, select the desired font size using the drop-list and click on the [OK] button.

For a global change: View > Component Markings... > [Font Settings...]. Local settings override global settings.

3) Good question. Probably vendor-dependent. Ask them if you don't see it listed on their website. If you have money to burn you could send out a font test board to see what works and what doesn't. I guess you'll have to be mindful of the line width and spacing used for a particular font when sizes go below 4.
Tom

Haz

#3 Post by Haz » 16 Apr 2020, 15:54

Thanks a lot. It's exactly what I wanted to get to.
H-

Haz

#4 Post by Haz » 18 Apr 2020, 12:15

One more related question. Can I hide a refdes marking on the silkscreen? I saw I can delete it, but don't want to lose the hover over and see what it is. I just want to hide it. the reason is for example, I have user LEDs, which I labeled with normal names, like Error, System, etc... and don't need the additional D401, D402, etc.
Is there a way I can hide the D401, etc. Same is needed for my test points. Historically, I have hidden all testpoint marking, and printed an assembly or an un-hidden silkscreen to guide me when debugging. So looking at a document and the board to figure out what is what. That's with some other EDA. Not sure i that process is possible with DipTrace.

Thanks you,
H-

Haz

#5 Post by Haz » 18 Apr 2020, 16:05

Figured it out.
For those who may have the same question:
Right click -> Properties -> Markings (tab) -> Hide from the RefDes drop down

thanks
H-