Import custom graphics to silk

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
fi2eewill

Re: Import custom graphics to silk

#11 Post by fi2eewill » 03 Apr 2020, 01:08

Hi gschulz, looks great glad it helped! Also, thanks for the offer i'd be happy to try your tool :) (I don't see it though)

I understand the concept of soldermask artwork - the point i was trying to make is that even if the Gerber silkscreen is hi-res and looks great on screen, the actual printed silkscreen resolution is limited by the printer - so i don't expect to see hi-res silkscreen :)

I had a design with dense components, so I had to reduce RefDes silkscreen to size 2. I wasn't really happy how it turned out - i had used the same fab for another board with default size 3 which turned out great, not the case with size 2 refdes :(

gschulz

#12 Post by gschulz » 03 Apr 2020, 06:48

Sorry, I missed the tool. Here it is...

Some details about its use:
1. Input is a monochrome BMP image. I opened my graphic in MSPaint and saved it as "Monochrome Bitmap BMP".
2. The width and height is derived from the image in pixels.
3. For some reason, the resolution data is not represented correctly in the BMP, so I set the default to 300DPI and you can change that value as needed.
4. When you change the DPI, the width and height in inches will update accordingly.
5. There is also an X Offset and Y Offset field that can be used to trim the position of the image.
6. The Aperture field allows you to set the width of the raster line. For 300DPI, 0.01" works well. When I did my best image, I set it to 1200DPI and 0.001" aperture.
7. The Zoom slider allows you to zoom into the image to inspect the edges. It needs to be set before loading the image. If you change the zoom level, you need to reload the image to see the results (graphic is processed on load).
8. To convert to Gerber, click on "Convert". The image will be loaded and processed inline to create a gerber. The gerber file will be named the same as the BMP, except the extension will be changed to "GBR". Note that the output file will over-write the previous gerber file of the same name without warning.

Let me know if this works for you. If it seems to have any value, I'll clean it up and add some protection and error handling and make it available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fi2eewill

#13 Post by fi2eewill » 06 Apr 2020, 20:40

Hi gschulz, thanks for the file and sorry for the delay
panic at work seems to be the norm recently... I got called last minute to put out some fire
Back to HQ at home now :) ... i will give it a try and see what I get ^^

underwoodle

#14 Post by underwoodle » 29 Apr 2020, 23:56

gschulz wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 06:48
Sorry, I missed the tool. Here it is...

Some details about its use:
1. Input is a monochrome BMP image. I opened my graphic in MSPaint and saved it as "Monochrome Bitmap BMP".
2. The width and height is derived from the image in pixels.
3. For some reason, the resolution data is not represented correctly in the BMP, so I set the default to 300DPI and you can change that value as needed.
4. When you change the DPI, the width and height in inches will update accordingly.
5. There is also an X Offset and Y Offset field that can be used to trim the position of the image.
6. The Aperture field allows you to set the width of the raster line. For 300DPI, 0.01" works well. When I did my best image, I set it to 1200DPI and 0.001" aperture.
7. The Zoom slider allows you to zoom into the image to inspect the edges. It needs to be set before loading the image. If you change the zoom level, you need to reload the image to see the results (graphic is processed on load).
8. To convert to Gerber, click on "Convert". The image will be loaded and processed inline to create a gerber. The gerber file will be named the same as the BMP, except the extension will be changed to "GBR". Note that the output file will over-write the previous gerber file of the same name without warning.

Let me know if this works for you. If it seems to have any value, I'll clean it up and add some protection and error handling and make it available.
Hi,

I am running into some of the same problems. I was curious if this utility might be able to resolve them, but it apparently doesn't like Windows 10. I am getting an error "Can't load(or register) custom control:'prgs.ocx'"

I have tried installing with admin privileges with no luck. Do you have any other suggestions?

gschulz

#15 Post by gschulz » 20 May 2020, 22:44

It was written in VB4 and ran fine on Win7. I never thought there would be an issue with Win 10. Did you try running it in XP compatibility mode? If necessary, I can send you my source files, if you're comfortable in rewriting in another language. If I have time (won't be for a few weeks), I'll try to port it to C. The program isn't very complicated, and might even port easily to HTML, so I could give that a shot. BASIC should port easily to Java Script.

Sorry I've been busy lately, but I'll help you as best as I can.

Geoff