Dealing with multiple identical audio channels

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
flicker177

Dealing with multiple identical audio channels

#1 Post by flicker177 » 15 Feb 2020, 09:29

Hello DipTrace users,

I'm a newbie here but I'm getting along well with DipTrace and have produced a few PCB's with it that actually work! I design audio equipment which often has 2, 4, 8 identical channels. I like to draw a schematic for one channel, transfer that to a PCB, and do the placement and routing.

After I'm happy with the placement and routing of this channel, I would like to find an easy way to copy and paste it on the schematic to as many channels as I need, do the same with the PCB with the placement and routing included, and finally add the few connections like power and ground that are common to the channels. I’d like to preserve all the work I did on placement and routing in the first channel.

Right now I’m able to do that but I have to go through the entire PCB and change the refdes on the pasted channel's parts to match those on the schematic before I can verify the PCB to the schematic. This is very tedious but not so much as re-doing the placement and routing for each channel.

The refdes renumbering is of very limited help. What would be very helpful would be copy and paste, not changing the refdes on both the schematic and the PCB, then a refdes renumbering where I could select all the parts on a channel and add 100, 200, etc. to differentiate them on both the schematic and the PCB.

Perhaps I’m missing something obvious, does anyone else do something like this? Have you found an easy way to deal with it?

Thanks,
--Bill

Tomg
Expert

Re: Dealing with multiple identical audio channels

#2 Post by Tomg » 17 Feb 2020, 09:46

"...I would like to find an easy way to copy and paste it on the schematic to as many channels as I need..."
Use the Schematic Editor's hierarchy tool to create the template channel block (add another sheet and change its Sheet Type to "Hierarchy Block"), which can be placed into the main schematic as many times as you like. See page 216 of the tutorial for more information.
"...I’d like to preserve all the work I did on placement and routing in the first channel..."
This is where the PCB Layout editor's hierarchy tool makes itself useful (main menu > Route > Hierarchy...). See page 221 of the tutorial for more information.
"...I have to go through the entire PCB and change the refdes…"
Use the PCB Layout editor's Renew Layout from Schematic tool to update all PCB reference designators to match those of the schematic. For a convenient way to renumber groups of reference designators on the schematic,
see page 175 of the tutorial where it explains how you can select/highlight a specific group of components, right-click on one of them and choose "RefDes Renumbering..." in the pop-up menu to access the required tool. Overall reference designator renumbering is explained on page 174.
Last edited by Tomg on 17 Feb 2020, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

flicker177

#3 Post by flicker177 » 17 Feb 2020, 10:09

Thanks Tom!
That's perfect (as soon as I wrap my head around it ;-) )
Great support here!
--Bill

glandaburu

#4 Post by glandaburu » 14 Apr 2020, 16:36

I am sorry but I believe the underlying question is not solved yet, how could we re-use placement and even the routes several times (provided that they are instances of the same hierarchical block)?

Haz

#5 Post by Haz » 16 Apr 2020, 15:03

I have the exact same question.

If you or someone was able to figure it out, please let me know. Will save me a lot of time. I have a voltage regulator block, and 6 instances of it, each for a different voltage. So one component is outside of the block on the main schematic which is the programming resistor for the output of the regulator. I want to be able to create the layout for that one block and reuse it over and over, then add the rest. So ideally, my layout would look routed, with one ratsnet for input voltage, one for output, and 2 for the resistor. The rest should be routed and reused, including thermal vias, etc... Is this possible?

thanks,
H-

manvsgamer

#7 Post by manvsgamer » 29 Apr 2020, 02:11

What would be very helpful would be copy and paste, not changing the refdes on both the schematic and the PCB, then a refdes renumbering where I could select all the parts on a channel and add 100, 200, etc. to differentiate them on both the schematic and the PCB. auto clicker

flicker177

#8 Post by flicker177 » 12 May 2020, 12:52

Yes, that is what I was envisioning when I first posted the question. Using the hierarchy gets the job done but it forces me to use a multi-page schematic when I don't really want to do that. Copy, paste, select by window, and change refdes in a suitable way would be much more straightforward to me. Its another case of software forcing me to work the way it wants, not letting me make the software work the way *I* want.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add some flexibility to refdes renumbering? Maybe something to think about for future updates?

--Bill