Ratlines won't go away

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
clarkleach

Re: Ratlines won't go away

#11 Post by clarkleach » 16 Mar 2017, 08:26

This is in the state prior to me resolving two of the ratlines... I forgot to save it before making a bunch of other tweaks that I needed to discard. I noticed another ratline near U3 pin 4 - it seems like I went through all those capacitor connections once to make sure they were connected.

Anyhow, here it is:
Attachments
stepper-dual-A4988.dip
(745 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Tomg
Expert

#12 Post by Tomg » 16 Mar 2017, 09:08

There are two disconnects; one on layer-1 and the other on layer-4.
1) On layer-1 there is a disconnected trace segment hidden underneath the main trace which is the one making the actual connection to C15. Move the main trace out of the way (highlight it and nudge it with the arrow keys), delete the hidden segment, nudge the main trace back and reconnect C15 to the main trace. This will cure the U5(22) ratline.
2) On layer-4 a trace is not actually connected to the main bus (notice the faint, gray square where the connection should be). Fix that and the U5(28) ratline should disappear.

Let me know how it all comes out.
Attachments
all.gif
all.gif (65.04 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Tom

clarkleach

#13 Post by clarkleach » 16 Mar 2017, 09:14

I found and fixed that disconnect on layer 1. I seem to get those a lot using this "intuitive" interface for routing traces. "WTF" has become a staple of my vocabulary.
Thanks for your input. Any tips on how to make this process less infuriating are welcome.

FWIW, I'm reworking that portion of the layout... again; I'm not real happy with it.

Tomg
Expert

#14 Post by Tomg » 16 Mar 2017, 09:28

If that portion of the layout was a copy of another part of the PCB, then it's possible that the extra segment on layer 1 came from the original. If you have a lot of identical sub-circuits to place, then the hierarchy tool might make things easier once you have mastered it. It is capable of automatically arranging components and internally routing them within each hierarchical block according to how you set up the first one.

One thing I wish DipTrace had was a route "healing tool" of sorts that would properly combine hidden traces with overlapping traces of the same net.
Tom

clarkleach

#15 Post by clarkleach » 16 Mar 2017, 09:35

Tomg wrote:If you have a lot of identical sub-circuits to place, then the hierarchy tool might make things easier once you have mastered it. It is capable of automatically arranging components and internally routing them within each hierarchical block according to how you set up the first one.
Worth pursuing -- if I decide to stick with DipTrace. It is one of the better tools I've tried, but I need to figure out this routing process and the god-awful library/component system.
Tomg wrote:One thing I wish DipTrace had was a route "healing tool" of sorts that would properly combine hidden traces with overlapping traces of the same net.
Seems like a no-brainer.

AKeith

#16 Post by AKeith » 07 Jun 2018, 09:33

I had the exact same problem with Ratlines not going away that clarkleach originally described and I followed Tomg's four step suggestion, and quickly solved the problem. Apparently I had not properly centered the trace in the exact middle of a Static Via. Thank you, my friend, for the expert help. Now my hair will grow back.

bdrudolph

#17 Post by bdrudolph » 04 May 2022, 09:50

I have many problems with Diptrace 4.3 and this forum in general:
1) First, I cannot figure out how to create a new post in the diptrace forum without replying to an existing one as I am here. How is this done?
2) I have blue ratlines that are appearing for diff high speed traces despite no net connectivity issue or design rule issues. Tomg's four step suggestion doesn't even seem to apply since the menu options are not the same. I unroute a segment, create a new diff pair segment in its place and them I am unable to independently edit diff traces in order to try to relign traces with via centers. Free trace editing does nothing. I can't make progress here. I was able to independently edit diff traces before unrouting the segment, but not after.
3) How do I post an image?

googling brought me to postimg.cc, which allowed me to upload an image and create this link

"https://postimg.cc/MXgSbkmj"
...with the IMG brackets removed due to the fact that they prevent me from submitting this post due to the error: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."

This is ridiculous. Do I seriously need to read help documentation (which I cannot find) or know html to upload a picture to this help forum? Surely I am missing something obvious?

Please help