Logo on silkscreen

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
arco

Logo on silkscreen

#1 Post by arco » 28 Jan 2017, 04:18

I have made a simple logo icon file with white lines and transparent background.
If I place that on the silkscreen, all transparency is lost
I get a white 'blob'... :) (Instead of white text only). Is there something I need to change?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Logo on silkscreen

#2 Post by Tomg » 30 Jan 2017, 09:46

Just finished experimenting and trying a few things out. If the logo is in the form of a *.jpg file, maybe the following procedure will help. Then again, maybe not. If you feel up to it, give it a try and let me know what happens...

Converting the logo file
1) Create a logo and save it as a JPEG file named "logo" to a convenient location such as the desktop.
2) Launch the PCB Editor and make sure the Design Area is empty.
3) In the Drawing Toolbar, choose the Top Assy layer, click on the Place Picture icon, drag the mouse in the Design Area to create the desired frame size/proportions for the picture file and release.
4) Navigate to and select/highlight the file named "logo.jpg" in the Open dialog window and click on the [Open] button. After the picture appears, right-click in an empty section of the Design Area to disable the Place Picture tool.
5) In the Main Menu click on File, select Export in the drop-down menu and then choose Gerber... in the fly-out menu.
6) Select/highlight the Top Assy layer in the Export Gerber dialog window, make sure the [X] Use Design Origin option is enabled and click on the [Export] button.
7) In the Save As dialog window, type in the name "logo" and save it to a convenient location such as the desktop.
8) Close the Export Gerber dialog window.

Importing the converted logo file
1) Open your target PCB without saving the logo image that is currently occupying the Design Area.
2) In the Main Menu click on File, select Import in the drop-down menu and then choose Gerber... in the fly-out menu.
3) Navigate to and select/highlight the file named "logo.gbr" in the Open dialog window, then click on the [Open] button.
4) In the Source Gerber File dialog window set Import Mode: Add, Convert to: Top Silk, make sure all options are disabled and select Import.
5) Make the necessary adjustments/modifications to the newly-imported silkscreen image and resave your PCB file.

Good luck.
Tom

Batiskaff

#3 Post by Batiskaff » 26 Apr 2021, 01:56

BTW, PCB logo library is posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14009&p=30423#p30423

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 26 Apr 2021, 06:24

I must be running a different version of DipTrace 4.1.2.0
When I click the menu Image ICON Place Picture and draw a placement box a file browser opens, after selecting an image a new window opens Picture Vectorizing. In that window I can adjust the 'Tolerance' and then the resulting vectorize image is placed. I played with jpeg and png finding that the png images seem to vectorize better. Once the vectorize image is place you can select it and change the layer to whatever, silk or mask layer.
The pattern library from Batiskaff has many 'quick' images but it is a pattern library with it's limitations hence the different sized images for the same thing and having to create duplicates to change the image layer in pattern editor..

The perfect solution would be a vector based library of scalable images but Diptace does not import vector based images leaving you to adjusting the SVG to close then exporting as png then importing it to DT and using DT vector tool. I use InkScape as my vector drawing tool.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 537 times