Shape Router Won't Route after program update

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
gunrunnerjohn

Shape Router Won't Route after program update

#1 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 10 Jul 2016, 11:52

I recently updated Diptrace to the 3.0.0.3 (June 14, 2016) Freeware version, and now the Shape router refuses to run. It just does a brief process and then displays the unrouted board again. If I switch to the grid router, the routing works fine.

I went back to previous projects that were configured with the shape router and simply unrouted them and tried to route again, same result.

What happened? I'm at a loss! :?: Is there some new setting I'm missing?
Diptrace Version.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Shape Router Won't Route after program update

#2 Post by Alex » 12 Jul 2016, 05:09

Please make sure you don't use board cutout instead board outline. Also verify autorouter settings (layer priority, via cost, etc.), net classes (clearance and trace width) and via styles.
If nothing helps please send board file to support at diptrace dot com.

gunrunnerjohn

#3 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 12 Jul 2016, 08:59

Alex wrote:Please make sure you don't use board cutout instead board outline. Also verify autorouter settings (layer priority, via cost, etc.), net classes (clearance and trace width) and via styles.
If nothing helps please send board file to support at diptrace dot com.
I'm using board outline to define the board size, at least that's what I think I'm doing. When I hover over the board outline, I see "Board Outline" in the status line.

I don't understand "verify autorouter settings". I didn't change them from what worked with previous versions of DipTrace, what do I verify? I've looked at all the settings, they seem reasonable, but maybe I don't know what to look for.

When I submit this to support, what documentation do you need with it?

Ghyorn

#4 Post by Ghyorn » 18 Jul 2016, 06:54

Hello,
I'm having the same issue. I'm following the PDF tutorial, use all the default settings and correctly defined my board outline.
When I click on "Run Autorouter", there is a brief process, you can see "Auto-routing" in the top right corner and "Completion" going from 0% to 100%, you can see the traces moving around as the auto-router iterates. But when it's done, there is no traces one the PCB.

I'm running on the 30 days trials, as I'm considering DipTrace as my company's ECAD software.
Operating system : Windows 7 x64
Dip Trace : 3.0.0.2 x64

I attached the PCB file, and some screenshots :

Before and after auto-routing, it makes no difference !
BEFORE-AFTER.PNG
When the auto-routing is being done, you can briefly see the traces, but I couldn't capture it as it's really fast.
AUTO-ROUTING.PNG
-- 19 Jul 2016, 11:05 --

I (kind of) solved the problem :

Windows 7 x64 French + DipTrace 3.0.0.2 x64 : auto-routing not working
Windows 7 x64 French + DipTrace 3.0.0.2 x32 : auto-routing working
Windows 10 x64 English US + DipTrace 3.0.0.2 x64 : auto-routing working

My guess is that the problem comes from the way windows translates "C:/Program Files/DipTrace" to "C:/Programmes/DipTrace" when the operating system's language is set to French. I think it's the problem because I had trouble about this in other modules, for example in DipTrace PCB Layout. It didn't find the 3D models, because it's was looking in "C:/Program Files/DipTrace" by default instead of "C:/Programmes/DipTrace".
It works with the 32-bit version because Windows doesn't translate the path "C:/Program Files (x86)/DipTrace" to French.
Well, just a theory. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gunrunnerjohn

#5 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 19 Jul 2016, 08:43

I loaded the 32 bit version and it started working again. FWIW, I have Win7 Pro English that is up to date with patches. This worked until the last DipTrace update and then just stopped working.

To further muddy the waters, I tried it on a different Win7 Pro machine, my laptop. The 64 bit version still works there! Obviously, something got stored or changed in the configuration of my main machine that affects the 64 bit version of DipTrace.

Ghyorn

#6 Post by Ghyorn » 19 Jul 2016, 10:19

Oh, so it has nothing to do with the path translation then.

In the 3.0.0.2 update they say
novarm44 wrote:- Native x64 version has been added (more memory and speed-increase on 64-bit systems), till now it was just 64-bit installer with 32-bit application for compatibility with Windows x64 rights and privileges.
I guess not everything got properly ported to x64.
gunrunnerjohn wrote:To further muddy the waters, I tried it on a different Win7 Pro machine, my laptop. The 64 bit version still works there! Obviously, something got stored or changed in the configuration of my main machine that affects the 64 bit version of DipTrace.
Personally I started with a clean install of DipTrace 3.0.0.2 on an up-to-date machine, as a first time user, and the auto-router didn't work... I guess residual settings files isn't the problem either.

gunrunnerjohn

#7 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 19 Jul 2016, 10:33

The odd thing is another Windows 7 Pro x64 machine did run it. There must be something about the Windows configuration somewhere that is upsetting the 64 bit version. I have a lot more stuff installed on this machine, the laptop has a more limited subset of applications on it. I don't think it's in the DipTrace configuration itself, I believe it's something about the environment that causes the issue.

Note that the Grid Router still worked, but the Shape Router failed in my case.

unkajah

#8 Post by unkajah » 13 May 2020, 17:03

Hello! has this issue been solved yet? I have tried both 64bit and 32 bit versions.. Im running windows 10.

I cannot auto route a simple layer (bottom).
did not change any settings. tried some of the recommendations on Orthogonal priority etc.. nothing helps.

I did get Gridrouter to work, but not Shape Router..

I did find this in the logs: (And I do have a board outline, i'm actually following a tutorial)

# Writing all output to: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\DipTrace\rout_temp.log
Error - No board outline found! - Please exit and add a board outline
bestsave off

grid via 0.0039

grid wire 0.0039

define (class Dip_Net_Class_0 0 1 2 3 4 5)

circuit class Dip_Net_Class_0 (use_via DipViaStyle_0)

rule class Dip_Net_Class_0 (width 13)

rule class Dip_Net_Class_0 (clearance 13)

rule pcb (pin_width_taper down)
Incomplete command
bus diagonal

route 20

clean 2

route 25 16

clean 2

filter 5