Net names for bus wires should include the bus name

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
spinnaker

Net names for bus wires should include the bus name

#1 Post by spinnaker » 30 Nov 2012, 16:46

I have several buses. I attached wires to the bus giving them net names A,B,C etc. I wanted to attach wires to a second bus with the same sames but Diptrace told me the net name already exists outside the bus.

I think, the wires should display the name entered but the actual Net name should take on the name of the bus. That way I would be able to have the same wire names across all buses.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Net names for bus wires should include the bus name

#2 Post by Alex » 03 Dec 2012, 03:02

You should connect two busses using page connectors. It will merge busses and their nets will be available from both busses.
To connect two busses, connect them to page connectors and give the same name for the page connectors.

spinnaker

#3 Post by spinnaker » 03 Dec 2012, 13:59

I am not connecting the 2 buses. They are separate buses.

The whole point of the post was that the wires on each separate bus should be able to have the same name. But internally the net names are different.

Example, if I have two buses (not connected together)

Bus 0 and Bus 1

Bus 0 should be able to have wires A,B,C and D internally they would be something like Bus 0-A, Bus 0-B and so on
Bus 1 should be able to have wires A,B,C and D internally they would be something like Bus 1-A, Bus 1-B and so on

but both buses would still display A,B,C and D.

matttay

#4 Post by matttay » 01 Aug 2013, 09:12

I'd like to re-iterate how limiting this seems. A schematic might have two data buses, DB1 and DB2. Each bus should be able to have a D0 as a net inside the bus. Currently this is not possible, is it? In other words, can DB1 have a signal named D0 and DB2 also have a signal named D0 (but they are not connected).

dslocum

#5 Post by dslocum » 20 Sep 2021, 05:03

I know this is an old thread, but I have to agree that this is very limiting.

I should be able to connect a Net from one bus to another WITHOUT having to join the two busses. Having ALL of the nets from both busses kind of defeats some of the advantages to having a bus. :evil: