Auto-selection between Schematic and Layout

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
wossname

Auto-selection between Schematic and Layout

#1 Post by wossname » 10 Sep 2011, 00:27

I want to be able to select a bunch of components in the Schematic editor and then have those same parts automatically selected in the associated Layout in real time (because I've got both Schematic And Layout open simultaneously for the same design). Is this possible? I can't seem to find any way of doing that.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: Auto-selection between Schematic and Layout

#2 Post by novarm44 » 12 Sep 2011, 00:17

This is not possible yet. We plan to add real-time sync in the future though.

wossname

#3 Post by wossname » 12 Sep 2011, 06:05

I think it would be a very helpful feature for people laying out medium to high complexity boards. It's often beneficial to place components physically in a way that closely resembles the schematic. At the moment I have to search for every single component and manually place it. But with an auto-select feature I could grab a bunch of stuff with a rectangular mouse-drag in the Schematic programme and then just alt-tab over to layout and pull all those parts out of the main group of stuff and route it separately! On my latest project that would have saved me about 8 hours of hard and boring dragging and dropping!

I look forward to you adding this feature to Diptrace :)

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#4 Post by novarm44 » 13 Sep 2011, 08:45

Use design manager or component search (Ctrl+F) to navigate through the schematic/layout - that allows to find necessary component in a few second (just find it in alphabetical list and double click to pan and highlight).

wossname

#5 Post by wossname » 15 Sep 2011, 05:10

Yes, I know how to do the manual search. But what I'm saying is: needing to do a manual (Ctrl-F) search for every single one of 250 components is a colossal waste of time. Drag selecting in the schematic view and then having that selection made for me in the Layout program would literally be 1000 times faster than doing it the hard way.

gunslinger

#6 Post by gunslinger » 18 Sep 2011, 15:55

+1 for this

For a very visual tool it almost seems counter intuitive (IMHO) to have to select/search for things from lists. If you've laid out your schematic in a particular way you are no doubt very familiar with the location of various components in that layout, so being able to easily select them in the schematic and carry that object selection over to the PCB would make the layout process so much easier.

Cheers,
Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came...

lizerd

#7 Post by lizerd » 17 Nov 2011, 04:27

+1 for this as well.

monkey123

#8 Post by monkey123 » 04 Jan 2012, 22:53

+1, I agree.

I also find it inconvenient that when I add a new part or make a change on the schematic, I have to continuously select "Renew Design From Schematic" in the PCB editor. This should be done automatically.

VEC7OR
Expert

#9 Post by VEC7OR » 21 Feb 2012, 01:40

+1, and more importantly - we need a 'design overseer', its not just schematic and board its a project, because it relatively easy to break net structure if you change enough nets in layout instead of schematic, and that will allow to deprecate back-annotation and renewal, but that is far fetching I guess.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

ee171

#10 Post by ee171 » 19 Jun 2021, 10:39

There seems to be a disconnect or completely decoupled between schematic and layout. I select net/component in schematics doesn't highlight/select net/component in layout. Accidental delete net in layout, then trying to reconnect requires a reload of the schematic.

Is it possible to add a component in the layout and propagate that change back to the schematics?

Is there a function that do PCB and schematics comparison, such as layout vs schematics just making sure all the components and nets are matched?

Sorry but I'm a new user exploring Diptrace. Thanks.