PCB Layout dip to Schematics

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
rsocor01

PCB Layout dip to Schematics

#1 Post by rsocor01 » 07 Dec 2022, 11:12

Hi,

I have a moderately complex PCB layout design that I made with Diptrace, a dip file. I would like to somehow convert it to a schematics using some kind of automatic conversion. Doing this from scratch is going to take me several hours. I've been playing with Diptrace for a while trying to accomplish this, but I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

mike_s

Re: PCB Layout dip to Schematics

#2 Post by mike_s » 09 Dec 2022, 12:19

Hello Robert,
Creating a pcb manually with copper traces, holes, and may-be a pattern will NOT translate to an electronic circuit design.

I believe you need assistance in first creating a simple and tested/proven circuit design, then replicate the design in Schematic Capture ; a bit of technical understanding is required. Once you are successful, generating a PCB (.dip) file starts another learning experience.

The simple response to your query - not possible, given info as you stated.
mike_s

rsocor01

#3 Post by rsocor01 » 10 Dec 2022, 15:40

Thanks Mike. I drew the design by hand before creating the PCB and it works well. I wanted to have a "formal" drawn schematics for my technicians to be able to read it. I guess I will have to draw it from scratch. Thanks for your help. I love working with your DipTrace program.

Grandise

#4 Post by Grandise » 26 Oct 2023, 22:56

Geometry Dash World

rsocor01 wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 11:12 Hi,

I have a moderately complex PCB layout design that I made with Diptrace, a dip file. I would like to somehow convert it to a schematics using some kind of automatic conversion. Doing this from scratch is going to take me several hours. I've been playing with Diptrace for a while trying to accomplish this, but I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
There is no direct automated conversion feature in DipTrace that can easily convert a PCB layout to a schematic. The PCB layout is typically a representation of the final design, whereas the schematic captures the logical connections and components of the circuit. Therefore, the process of converting a layout back into a schematic often requires manual effort to recreate the logical connections accurately.

mpflugmann

#5 Post by mpflugmann » 25 Mar 2024, 22:24

Unfortunately, partly automated support would be helpful in many cases but even this is not supported in DipTrace:
Importing the parts and getting the netlist in "Schematics" would already help a lot!
Even, there is a "Connection Manager" which can already create nets and connections in "Schematics" but there is no import of PCBs or netlists possible.