tiles and sheets

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
scfaria

tiles and sheets

#1 Post by scfaria » 22 May 2021, 03:57

In the tutorial beginning, we make a tile and a sheet and then view it in the main screen. Looks like some sort of documentation for the project (in the tutorial). What I get when I do this is very different from the tutorial. See attached view. What is the difference between a tile and a sheet? Are they even necessary to the project to make a schematic and then convert it into a PCB? The first time I started monkeying with this tool, I made a schematic without making a tile or sheet and things seemed to go quite well. Later in the tutorial we start collecting libraries and then put in components into the work area, but the tile/screen is no longer shown. Is it sitting in the background as part of a project that I started? When are they used? From the schematic that I made without the tile/sheet being made I did get so far as to try to convert to a PCB, but got complaints about patterns, but that doesn't make me believe that this is because I didn't have a tile/sheet made.

syd
Attachments
tabs.PNG
tabs.PNG (7.36 KiB) Viewed 256 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: tiles and sheets

#2 Post by Tomg » 24 May 2021, 05:47

...What is the difference between a tile and a sheet?...
A Title, or more specifically a Title Block, is the area where you place information about the project. It is for project identification, circuit descriptions and version tracking.
...Are they even necessary to the project to make a schematic and then convert it into a PCB?...
No.
...the tile/screen is no longer shown. Is it sitting in the background as part of a project that I started?...
Zoom out to see if it is there. If it does not exist and you wish to add it, in the main menu click on "File" > "Titles and Sheet Setup..." and enable the desired options at the bottom of the "Titles and Sheet Setup" dialog window. The desired title block and its position within the sheet must be selected under the [Title Blocks] tab in order for it to appear.
...I did get so far as to try to convert to a PCB, but got complaints about patterns, but that doesn't make me believe that this is because I didn't have a tile/sheet made...
Correct. Titles and sheet settings have no bearing on the ability to generate a PCB from the schematic.
Tom