Component with internal net

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
ken.howard

Component with internal net

#1 Post by ken.howard » 03 Apr 2021, 13:16

I have an unusual requirement for a component with an internal net. It’s a 12-pole rotary switch with 3 identical sections which I can place anywhere on the schematic as (for example) SW1-1, SW1-2 and SW1-3. The rotary contact of each section is actually common and doesn’t come out to a pin, but I want to place the three sections separately, as they are used in different parts of the schematic. Is there any way to have a ‘virtual’ net that allows the connection between rotors to be shown on the schematic without actual pins on the PCB part.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Component with internal net

#2 Post by Tomg » 07 Apr 2021, 03:17

In the Component Editor create a three-part component. Here's an example of what that might look like...
123.png
123.png (17 KiB) Viewed 283 times
I wouldn't worry about a "virtual net" as I believe it won't matter when dropping each part into the schematic. The only pins needed are for the "throws". Since there are no external connections for the "poles" do not create pins for them, just use labels and standard drawing objects to indicate a common connection between the poles of each part. That should make it obvious enough to anyone reading the schematic.
Tom