Having trouble with Align Objects

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Chelmite

Having trouble with Align Objects

#1 Post by Chelmite » 21 Jan 2020, 20:11

I'm having a couple of problems with Align Objects.

First, when I select several objects, and then use the Align Objects command, none of the objects stay where they were. In other tools, you select several objects, and then one of them, usually the first selected, is used as the anchor, and all the other objects are made to align to it, either based on the bottom/center/top or left/center/right, depending on the alignment direction. The Align Objects command on two objects moves both of the objects, which means once you have one or more objects aligned, aligning an additional object will move everything. This makes it really difficult to make a schematic look planned and readable.

Please provide a way to make one of the objects an anchor for the remaining objects.

Second, the horizontal and vertical direction seem to be switched in the command menu. When I want to align things horizontally, I want them to move along the horizontal axis (X). Similarly for vertical. Visio makes it unambiguous by showing a simple image that shows what's going to happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Having trouble with Align Objects

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Jan 2020, 23:02

I agree. The DipTrace method is a little confusing and example images would help. Two things to keep in mind while attempting to use the tool...
* After selecting/highlighting the desired objects to be aligned, decide which one is to be the anchor and then right-click on it to access the Align Objects tool in the pop-up menu.
* Choose your distribution options at the bottom of the Align Objects menu with care.
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 22 Jan 2020, 06:13

Thank you for your notes. We will consider your suggestions (anchor and images) for future versions.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 19 Feb 2020, 09:44

"...We will consider your suggestions (anchor and images) for future versions..."
I hope so. It's a little frustrating when you assume things will behave in a logical manner (well, logical to me anyway) and then something unexpected happens...
AVL.gif
AHT.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom