How to copy bus-connected components?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Brathahn

How to copy bus-connected components?

#1 Post by Brathahn » 05 Oct 2018, 09:15

Hello,
i am making a LED display consisting of 10 7x5 dotmatrix displays. I have to connect all anodes together. To save some time i did it with a bus. But unfortnately when i copy the part with the bus connections, it renames all the connectors. So in the end i would have to rename all of the 70 connections by hand :roll: .
7x5ledmatrix.PNG
7x5ledmatrix.PNG (27.11 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Also selecting all the "A1" pins and changing it with the bus connection selection window to "anode1" changes only the first connector.
And as far as i know, there are also no bus connectors for hierachy blocks.

So how do you do this whithout renaming everything by hand?

Tomg
Expert

Re: How to copy bus-connected components?

#2 Post by Tomg » 05 Oct 2018, 14:14

"...So how do you do this whithout renaming everything by hand?..."
Try this...
1) Connect a Bus Connector to the original bus and give it a name. The connection is confirmed when the Bus Connector's circle turns green.
2) Select/highlight the new Bus Connector, its bus, the component and all of the connecting wires between the component and the bus. (Left-dragging a selection box around all of these elements is the quickest way to do this.)
3) Copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V).
4) Using the arrow keys, move the new copy (it should already be selected/highlighted) to the desired location.
5) If needed, paste another copy (Ctrl + V) and move it to the desired location using the arrow keys.
6) To make another copy, repeat step 5 above.

"...And as far as i know, there are also no bus connectors for hierachy blocks..."
See this related thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10725&p=20951#p20951
Tom

Brathahn

#3 Post by Brathahn » 05 Oct 2018, 22:34

Thank you for the quick reply.
The bus connector method works fine!

Another method i figured out, is using net ports as they can be copied just fine:
7x5ledmatrix2.PNG
7x5ledmatrix2.PNG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 06 Oct 2018, 01:39

A third method involves assigning Nets to each pin without connecting to wires. After that, all you have to do to make copies is to select/highlight the component and then use copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V)...
cpnw3.gif
cpnw3.gif (90.19 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Tom