Heirarchical Bus, how?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
vincei

Heirarchical Bus, how?

#1 Post by vincei » 14 Jul 2018, 07:15

Hi,

I'm new to Diptrace. I have a design element I need to place in a subsheet and reuse several times in my top level design. The element has 2 32 bit buses plus other signals. Is there a way to represent these buses the same way you can tag a single signal with a hierarchical label? Creating 64+ labels to refer to these buses in the top level design would suck my will to live. I tried using a Bus connector in my sub sheet and was surprised that the bus name that I'd chosen seemed to collide with the bus name already chosen in another sheet, why? How are the names of the Bus Connectors resolved in a sub-sheet if there are several instances of that sheet? Are they all the buses connected together? That doesn't seem to make any sense hence this question.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Vince

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Heirarchical Bus, how?

#2 Post by Alex » 16 Jul 2018, 20:12

Hi Vince,

There is no way to out the bus from hierarchical block though one hierarchical pin. This option is in our plans for the future versions.

vincei

#3 Post by vincei » 16 Jul 2018, 22:04

Thank you for the response.

How would you suggest a workaround? For example, if I had a board with identical compute engines and memory/IO buses that are repeated
several times? Painstakingly put them all in a top level sheet or run the common signals as individual pins in hierarchical blocks rather than
buses? Is there some way of handling this using NetPorts? I'm not sure since I am really new to DipTrace.

I'll be honest hierarchical blocks was the primary reason why I bought Diptrace and could not believe that it would not work for bus structures.

I hope this is a feature that you'll implement real soon.

Thanks!

-Vince

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 18 Jul 2018, 20:25

You can use net ports for connectivity. Nets become global once connected to netports. Therefore you don't need to add hierarchical pins to in/out signals between main sheet and hierarchical blocks.