Backward compatibility with v3.3 ?

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
bird

Backward compatibility with v3.3 ?

#1 Post by bird » 27 Mar 2022, 08:37

Hello , please advice are there any possible incompatibility issues possible if upgrading the older v3.3.1.3 Standard version to the current Standard as of today?
I would have to migrate all schematics, PCB layouts and accumulated custom component libraries.
Does new version convert all of that to a new format?
If I get any problems after the migration, will I be able to reverse/ downgrade to the old DT version ?
Regards,
Vlad

bird

Re: Backward compatibility with v3.3 ?

#2 Post by bird » 13 Apr 2022, 08:30

I understand that the DP team has truly difficult times now due to a brutal aggression against their country and might not be able to follow this forum.
But somebody in the community outside of Ukraine might have experience migrating from older versions 3.x .
Can somebody share that experience? Are the file formats compatible?

P.S. The highest priority for DP team right now is to keep themselves safe by any means! Anything else can wait.

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 13 Apr 2022, 09:06

For what it's worth, here's an older thread with a conversation about upgrading from 3.x to 4.x - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14447

As far as backward compatibility goes, I wouldn't rely on it. If I remember correctly, it might be possible to export a 4.x design to a DipTrace ASCII file and then import that file into a 3.x environment, but I can't be certain. So, if you're going to try something like that, backup your files first.

To date, I have not seen any "show-stopping" bugs in version 4.2.0.1.
Tom

bird

#4 Post by bird » 13 Apr 2022, 09:25

Thank you Tom,
Does running upgrade install side-by-side with the previous version or does it override it ?
After the upgrade will I still have my old version installed?

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 13 Apr 2022, 11:07

I don't remember. In the distant past I think I was able to load the new version beside the old one, but I can't be sure. There may have been some shared DipTrace system files that were updated which could have caused some problems with the original installation. Just for the sake of a fresh start, the last few years my procedure has been to make backups, uninstall the old version, reboot and then install the new version. Sorry I could not be of more help, here.
Tom

licensefairly

#6 Post by licensefairly » 18 Dec 2022, 15:03

Tomg wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 09:06 For what it's worth, here's an older thread with a conversation about upgrading from 3.x to 4.x - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14447 basket random

As far as backward compatibility goes, I wouldn't rely on it. If I remember correctly, it might be possible to export a 4.x design to a DipTrace ASCII file and then import that file into a 3.x environment, but I can't be certain. So, if you're going to try something like that, backup your files first.

To date, I have not seen any "show-stopping" bugs in version 4.2.0.1.
Very helpful. However, I'm having trouble exporting a 4.x design to a DipTrace ASCII file.