Need help identifying resistor values!

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
Deion Adel

Need help identifying resistor values!

#1 Post by Deion Adel » 18 Jul 2021, 22:06

So I just purchased a faulty Dell U2412Mb 24" monitor.
When you turn it on the power light just flashes, so i took it apart and noticed a burnt resistor on the power supply board.
It obviously needs to be replaced but I need to know the values of the resistor, so I was wondering if you could help me.
One of my friend said it looks like a 10K Ohm ±10%, 1 Watt carbon film resistor.
I'm not sure if it is orange or yellow. But I'm gonna write it down anyway.
It is labelled R720, and has 4 colour bands which go BROWN - BLACK - ORANGE - BLACK.
Thank u all for advance!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Need help identifying resistor values!

#2 Post by Tomg » 19 Jul 2021, 00:37

See this link for resistor color code definitions - https://twcontrols.com/lessons/resistor ... 20Webpages

p.s. The resistor may be toast because something down the line might be drawing too much current (e.g. shorted). Remove the resistor and investigate the rest of the downstream circuitry before installing a replacement.
Tom

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 19 Jul 2021, 00:50

If a resistor burned up there was a reason, replacing the resistor won't fix that. To repair the monitor you need the schematic to start with, if you can't get it save yourself hours of wasted time, throw the monitor away. I just did a quick Google: https://www.service-manual.net/?downloa ... ice-manual
$9.99
I repaired the power supplies on three Samsung monitors, there were part kits for them on Ebay, several parts in each kit, hours of fun disassembling, cleaning, removing and replacing resistors, capacitors, transistors... That was before the price of 4K monitors made repairing 1080 monitors not worth the time.

And of course that robot Tomg beat me to the Submit button!

licensefairly

#4 Post by licensefairly » 18 Dec 2022, 22:47

dianacrown88 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 01:42 Hi I also have this Dell EMC PowerEdge R720 and I downloaded the services guide above could you please tell me how to check my motherboard and what to look first exactly? I'm a bit lost when I look at all the measuring points and schematics in the manual. Cheers slope game
Yeah I have the same question. Hope someone can explain more detail soon.