Alignment Reference Point

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
WA2SQQ

Alignment Reference Point

#1 Post by WA2SQQ » 28 Mar 2021, 07:18

Just started out using DIPTRACE and Ive run into a problem. I laid the board out and wanted to print a copy to see how it would look. The board was shifted to the left, such that any connectors were "off the page" A friend of mine told me that some sort of reference point needs to be inserted, though he didn't know if this was done at the beginning or end of the project. He described this "point" as the point where all component locations were referenced from. I could not find anything about this in the tutorial PDF, perhaps because I don't know what its called.

Info or videos that explain this would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Tomg
Expert

Re: Alignment Reference Point

#2 Post by Tomg » 28 Mar 2021, 14:14

I believe the "reference point" you may be inquiring about is what is referred to as the "origin" which is the point where the two thin blue lines representing the X and Y axes cross each other at coordinate (0,0). I prefer to put the design origin on the lower left-hand corner of the Board Outline. Your mileage may vary. To display the origin In the PCB Layout editor's Design Area, go to the main menu and click on View > Display Origin (or use softkey [F1] to toggle it on/off). If you need to place the origin in a new location: View > Define Origin...
vdo.png
vdo.png (55.52 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Last edited by Tomg on 28 Mar 2021, 14:25, edited 3 times in total.
Tom

KevinA

Re: Alignment Reference Point

#3 Post by KevinA » 28 Mar 2021, 14:18

The 'Reference Point' is the bottom left pad at 0,0 - Main Menu - View/Define Origin and choose By Mouse, By Coordinates or Default Position
After I get everything laid out I use By Coordinates and Shift the position by -100,-100
I just can't beat tomg to the submit button!
Everything measured
Everything measured
FeatherOut-mil-huge.jpg (666.3 KiB) Viewed 316 times