Verification doesn't spot unrouted traces???

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
gunrunnerjohn

Verification doesn't spot unrouted traces???

#1 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 21 Aug 2020, 13:52

I have a board that passes verification but still has a broken net. I mentioned this previously, here's the board. I saved everything and then reloaded it, the ratline is still there, and it appears the net is indeed broken.

I've attached the schematic and PCB files as well. How is this possible?
DIP1.png
DIP2.png
DIP3.png
DIP4.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Verification doesn't spot unrouted traces???

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Aug 2020, 15:15

The trace that is passing through the via next to L1 is not tied to it, but it is touching the via making a copper connection and thus there are no Net Connectivity errors to report. If you slide the trace off of the via you can see that it is not attached. The ratline algorithm disagrees with the verification algorithm because the ratline algorithm looks for virtual connections (design intent) and cannot find a trace attachment point with the via. The Net Connectivity check looks to make sure all real-world copper connections are present (copper touching copper). This board's real-world connections seem OK. Typically, the ratline will show you the shortest path between two points of the same net and that is why it is nowhere near the actual area of concern. Here's what that area looks like after sliding the trace off of the via...
nc2.png
If you route the trace directly to the via first before continuing on with the rest of it, the ratline will disappear after the entire trace has been completed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tomg on 26 Aug 2020, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

gunrunnerjohn

#3 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 21 Aug 2020, 15:50

This was using the autorouter, so you're saying the autorouter is the one that's failing? I didn't manually route any of that net.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 21 Aug 2020, 15:52

gunrunnerjohn wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 15:50
This was using the autorouter, so you're saying the autorouter is the one that's failing? I didn't manually route any of that net.
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen the DipTrace autorouter behave in an unexpected manner. At least it made all of the proper copper connections.
Tom

gunrunnerjohn

#5 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 21 Aug 2020, 15:54

I don't see what you see, that trace looks routed correctly for me.
DIP5.png

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 21 Aug 2020, 15:59

Grab the trace with your mouse and slide it off of the via. If it was actually tied to the via, you wouldn't be able to separate the two objects without deleting a segment or two.
Tom

gunrunnerjohn

#7 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 21 Aug 2020, 16:07

Bingo, it does slide right off. So it's the router that's the issue and not the verification? How does one correct that?

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 21 Aug 2020, 16:12

Beats me. Maybe you should let Alex or Serg know about this in the bug forum. The autorouter could definitely use some more attention after they have completed their long-promised "push & shove" manual routing feature.
Tom

Serg
Technical Support

#9 Post by Serg » 02 Nov 2020, 04:13

gunrunnerjohn wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 16:07
Bingo, it does slide right off. So it's the router that's the issue and not the verification? How does one correct that?
Try to change the autorouter settings from main menu Route - Autorouter Setup - Settings - Use Priority Layer Dimensions.
I have got a ratline only with "Top and Bottom=Vertical". The other "Priorities" fixes an issue.
image_2020_11_02T07_36_12_246Z.png

gunrunnerjohn

#10 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 02 Nov 2020, 10:05

Thanks, I'll give it a try. That board has sailed, but I'm sure I'll see this again, I've seen it before. :)