Cannot get past 'Warning! Pad size/spacing too small'

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
Duckminster

Cannot get past 'Warning! Pad size/spacing too small'

#1 Post by Duckminster » 11 Aug 2022, 05:12

Help, I am stumped by this warning.

No matter what I do, no matter how small the clearance or pad size, or how large the pad to pad spacing... I get this error, which always references component U1.

Even if I select a net that only connects two pins between two passive SMD components that are completely unrelated to component U1, and select 'route net', I get the same error, referencing U1. This net class has a width of 8mil. Trace clearance is 8mil. The pads on the 0815 passive SMD components are 400mil apart from each other.

I've used the same U1 component, (a Teensy 4.1 with a standard 100mil X 600mil pad spacing) on other designs, no issue. Though even if this component pattern violated every rule, it still doesn't explain why the above would reference U1 in the error.

Unfortunately there is not enough information in the message to tell me exactly what the autorouter is complaining about.
Diptrace Warning.PNG
Diptrace Warning.PNG (11.83 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

Duckminster

Re: Cannot get past 'Warning! Pad size/spacing too small'

#2 Post by Duckminster » 11 Aug 2022, 05:50

Correction to post..
  • SMD components are 0805
  • I noticed my U1 ref is incorrect, it hadn't been updated. U1 is actually a QFN50P400X400X80 package, .5mm wide pads, .5mm pad to pad spacing.
However, the component is locked (so it shouldn't be included in the autorouting...?) and it doesn't explain why this component is referenced in the warning when I route only a net that is unrelated.

Also, I discovered that as a test if I delete the above component and I run the router, nothing happens. I get a popup of the routing in action, and when it disappears... nothing.

If I change the autorouter from shape to grid, I get a warning to use the shape router, but at least I get a routed board when it finishes. Change back to shape and nothing appears when the routing is complete.

Using DipTrace 4.3 (July 27,2022)

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 11 Aug 2022, 08:13

Try this to see if it fixes the problem...
1) Open a second board where the autorouter actually works as expected (make sure it is one with a similar rules/layers/vias setup), select Route > Save Rules..., give the new rules file a name, save it to a convenient location and close the second PCB without resaving it.
2) Return to the problematic PCB layout, select Route > Load Rules... and load the new rules file you just created.
3) Run the autorouter to see if its behavior improves.
Tom

Duckminster

#4 Post by Duckminster » 11 Aug 2022, 09:43

Can't get the shape router to work at all it seems.

I started with a brand new file, using the previous files router settings as you suggested. I added two through hole resistors and connected ratlines:
R1.PNG
R1.PNG (10.62 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
I ran the auto router, and it auto-created a board outline, but did nothing else. I then changed the router settings to defaults and ran it again, same thing, only ratlines appear:
R Auto.PNG
R Auto.PNG (15.23 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Next I switched to the grid router, and ran the router, and it worked, traces on bottom side of board:
R Grid.PNG
R Grid.PNG (15.61 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

Duckminster

#5 Post by Duckminster » 11 Aug 2022, 09:58

Thnking that clearly something must be amiss, I uninstalled Diptrace, deleted any residual folders that unisntall didn't delete (i.e. c:\ProgramData\DipTrace) reinstalled, and auto routing now seems to be working.

Will continue testing further, thanks.