DipTrace 4.1 release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Tomg
Expert

Re: DipTrace 4.1 release

#11 Post by Tomg » 04 Feb 2021, 08:53

"...Type cmd in windows search box and try to run "RouteService.exe /regserver" from that folder..."
After rebooting, the autorouter still fails.
"...run C:\Program files\DipTrace\Default.reg to set all registry settings to default..."
"...remove the key above (you can then recover it by running exported file)..."
"...download 32-bit version..."
After rebooting, the autorouter works.

Downloaded and installed the 64-bit version and rebooted.
The autorouter continues to work.

Uninstalled DipTrace, rebooted, downloaded and installed the 64-bit version and rebooted again.
The autorouter continues to work.
Perhaps I had recently corrupted a related file and temporarily installing the 32-bit version somehow fixed it.

Thanks for your help, Stanislav.
Tom

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#12 Post by novarm44 » 04 Feb 2021, 09:25

i_ionut wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 08:13 I've sent a sample file to ticket support.
Additionally from my previous message I saw that pressing File - Recovery Schematic makes this sample file visible. Trying with other schematics doesn't recover those schematics, but only this one, even if I restart program. It's the first time I try recovery option, so I don't know how it supposed to behave.
Thank You! I have investigated the issue and the problem is backward compatibility from 4.1 to 4.0 and earlier. There is a picture in your file and 4.1 have completely different picture saving/processing system. That actually crashes version 4.0 and all earlier versions if a file has 4.1 picture in it. Please remove the picture and you will be able to open that file in 4.0, anyway even if we edit 4.0 to avoid crash, 4.1 picture will not be displayed in it.
Forward compatibility from 4.0 to 4.1 seems to work correctly.

Regards!

mpaalanen

#13 Post by mpaalanen » 04 Feb 2021, 21:40

i_ionut wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 05:43 Hi,

I encountered a weird bug in Schematic after installing 4.1.0.0 Free over 4.0.0.5 Free.

Schematic files created with 4.0.0.5 Free appears blank in 4.1.0.0 Free. No components, no page border and no title block are visible. The only visible item is a text note (in Arial) in one of the files. In Design Manager column the components and nets are visible, but not on the schematic. Clicking on the components on Design Manager show it to me one by one until I click on the schematic, when they disappear.

[...]
This appears to be the same issue i reported a few days back. For me, the problem persists after upgrading to 4.1.0.0. To recap, my problem is as follows:
- a schematic file created using 4.0.x containing a master sheet and hierarchy sheets, fails to display the master sheet. The hierarchy sheets work normally.
- If the master sheet was active during the last (working) save, i get an error message complaining about drawing failure and graphics support. This often pops up also when selecting the master sheet if it was not the default upon opening the file.
- Curiously, there is the option to select graphics mode (in View/Graphics Mode). In Schematic.exe, the selection does not stick - selecting whichever option, when you check it has always reverted to "Windows GDI". PCB.exe has the same feature and there the selection works as expected, i.e. you select one, and it stays that way.
- I have updated the graphics driver to the latest available and it works flawlessly everywhere else, and also on Schematic hierarchy sheets - as indeed it did before.

From the symptoms and behavior it appears obvious that the graphics driver is not the culprit, at least not directly.

Edit: my schematics do not have any pictures in them so it is not that for me at least.

i_ionut

#14 Post by i_ionut » 04 Feb 2021, 22:12

novarm44 wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 09:25
Thank You! I have investigated the issue and the problem is backward compatibility from 4.1 to 4.0 and earlier. There is a picture in your file and 4.1 have completely different picture saving/processing system. That actually crashes version 4.0 and all earlier versions if a file has 4.1 picture in it. Please remove the picture and you will be able to open that file in 4.0, anyway even if we edit 4.0 to avoid crash, 4.1 picture will not be displayed in it.
Forward compatibility from 4.0 to 4.1 seems to work correctly.

Regards!
Thank you. Regarding the picture this is an old issue: in Schematic and PCB Layout if you copy-paste a design with a picture in it (logo, explanatory detail, shapes with text around, art), on the new design the picture is still there as a clickable field, but is not visible. The workaround is to delete the picture and insert it again.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#15 Post by novarm44 » 04 Feb 2021, 22:15

i_ionut wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 22:12 Thank you. Regarding the picture this is an old issue: in Schematic and PCB Layout if you copy-paste a design with a picture in it (logo, explanatory detail, shapes with text around, art), on the new design the picture is still there as a clickable field, but is not visible. The workaround is to delete the picture and insert it again.
In 4.1 picture object has link to the file (png, gif, etc), so copy/paste should work properly. In 4.0 and earlier picture was attached to internal object within layout. Actually the crash of previous version while opening newer file is connected with the lack of such object and issue in 4.0 and earlier - it tries to read object at not existent address.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#16 Post by novarm44 » 04 Feb 2021, 22:21

mpaalanen wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:40 This appears to be the same issue i reported a few days back. For me, the problem persists after upgrading to 4.1.0.0. To recap, my problem is as follows:
- a schematic file created using 4.0.x containing a master sheet and hierarchy sheets, fails to display the master sheet. The hierarchy sheets work normally.
- If the master sheet was active during the last (working) save, i get an error message complaining about drawing failure and graphics support. This often pops up also when selecting the master sheet if it was not the default upon opening the file.
- Curiously, there is the option to select graphics mode (in View/Graphics Mode). In Schematic.exe, the selection does not stick - selecting whichever option, when you check it has always reverted to "Windows GDI". PCB.exe has the same feature and there the selection works as expected, i.e. you select one, and it stays that way.
- I have updated the graphics driver to the latest available and it works flawlessly everywhere else, and also on Schematic hierarchy sheets - as indeed it did before.

From the symptoms and behavior it appears obvious that the graphics driver is not the culprit, at least not directly.

Edit: my schematics do not have any pictures in them so it is not that for me at least.
It seems to be the same issue. We will try to fix both directions from 4.0 to 4.1 and back for raster pictures shortly.
Currently to open your file, please copy it into different folder without filename.dchb0 file and open from that place.

mpaalanen

#17 Post by mpaalanen » 05 Feb 2021, 10:20

I can confirm that this advice does work and the files open correctly once copied to a clean directory.
So, case closed and thanks a lot for a quick solve.

dudung

#18 Post by dudung » 05 Feb 2021, 17:53

hi

i hope in the next release we could choose between cross-hair or mouse cursor only. it is a bit distracting when both appear at the same time.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#19 Post by novarm44 » 07 Feb 2021, 07:46

dudung wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 17:53 hi
i hope in the next release we could choose between cross-hair or mouse cursor only. it is a bit distracting when both appear at the same time.
I have changed this for 4.1.0.1: object build mode/trace routing has only cross-hair (windows cursor is set to none). But if cross-hair is jumping by grid and there are possible off-grid snap points, the arrow still appears (it is not jumping and it is easy to highlight off-grid points/objects). For default/edit mode cursor is still there to indicate the mode.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#20 Post by novarm44 » 08 Feb 2021, 01:55

Hi All,

We have updated DipTrace to version 4.1.0.1 today. The changes if compare to 4.1.0.0:
1. Raster pictures from older versions are opened correctly in both Schematic and PCB (vectorizing is an option now).
2. 4.1.0.1 files with raster pictures are now opened by 4.0 without crash. Pictures are not visible as they are completely redesigned, but other objects are ok.
3. Cross-hair cursor option has been redesigned, it is also saved when you reopen the program.
4. Converting component markings from 3.3 and earlier has been polished (lack of some markings was possible).

https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/

Regards,
Stanislav