DipTrace 4.0 Release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

DipTrace 4.0 Release

#1 Post by novarm44 » 20 May 2020, 02:12

Hi All,

We have published stable DipTrace 4.0 today.
You can download it here: https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/
Upgrade is free for customers who ordered 3.x or upgrade to 3.x after May 31, 2019.
For all other customers of 1.x, 2.x or 3.x it costs 25% of your edition perpetual license price:
https://diptrace.com/buy/online-store/ (see Upgrade DipTrace to version 4.x item)

The list of new features if compare to 3.3:
1. IPC-7351 standard pattern type:
- pattern is generated automatically by IPC-7351 generator integrated into Pattern Editor;
- 3D model is generated on the fly in Pattern Editor and PCB Layout.
2. New IPC-7351 libraries.
3. UI has been optimized for 4k monitors.
4. Mac OS 10.15 Catalina support.
5. RoundRect and D-shape pads.
6. Pad shape can be shifted from pad hole center.
7. Teardrops for pads, vias, trace width change and T-junctions.
8. Rotating pads by any angle without changing to polygon.
9. Rotating component by any angle without changing it.
10. Pad terminals.
11. Segmented paste mask, solder mask by paste mask.
12. Solder mask and paste mask of pads are visible in the design area and can be printed.
13. Fiducial object in PCB and Pattern Editor.
14. Pattern Editor has a layer panel similar to PCB Layout.
15. Both Pattern Editor and PCB Layout layer panels have configurable layer order and visibility.
16. Courtyard layer, DRC does not allow courtyard region to be overlayed (touch is allowed).
17. Component outline layer (3D model can be built by component outline).
18. Configurable Silk to Pad clearance in DRC.
19. Remove silk from pads/holes/mask wizard in Pattern Editor.
20. Place outline wizard in Pattern Editor.
21. Similar pad numbers are allowed (in this case pads are connected inside a pattern, @ symbol before or after pad number allows to avoid warning).
22. Two types of internal component connections are possible:
- one of pads should be connected or internal connection can be used as jumper for the net;
- all pads should be connected.
23. Manual routing improvements:
- Routing with static vias option;
- Tab key can be used to toggle between selection of a segment, trace and net;
- Del key is used for unrouting selected traces (node to node) instead of deleting net;
- Delete Net option has been added to net submenu.
24. 3 ways to build and edit arcs (3 points, center-radius-angles, start-end-radius).
25. Any set of shapes can be converted to a board outline (you can place arcs, lines, poly-lines as you wish, connect their ends and convert the set to a board outline).
26. Updated properties dialogs for all shapes (now can be edited by dimensions).
27. Obround shapes instead of ellipses in all programs.
28. Snap to other objects key points when building/editing shapes, board and copper pour.
29. Multi-line text.
30. “~” symbol is allowed in text (double ~~).
31. Text and pictures can be rotated by any angle.
32. Pictures are now vectorized and saved together with a design file.
33. It is possible to etch text or picture/logo in the copper pour.
34. Anchor point + Left-Center-Right, Top-Center-Bottom alignment is used for text, markings, pictures and while editing shapes.
35. Cut the right angle of the shape option.
36. New Component marking system in Schematic and PCB Layout:
- any number of markings can be displayed (display property is available for each field, including additional);
- free angle rotation and alignment;
- separate marking settings for assembly layer in PCB;
- custom marking font by the component;
- text with parameter property placed in Pattern/ Component Editor is counted as pattern marking (PCB/Schematic do not add additional text);
- font settings can be applied to markings placed in Component/Pattern Editor;
- move tool (F10) allows to move/rotate any text object inside a component directly in Schematic/PCB.
37. Pattern origin is shown as cross + circle (options) and can be displayed by layers.
38. 3 ways of building 3D models of the pattern (by file, by component outline and by IPC-7351 standard).
39. Filter can be stopped at any search stage, results are displayed in real-time while searching components.
40. Component properties dialog is redesigned to allow display and edit all additional fields at once.
41. Name description, unique name and manufacturer fields have been added to the pattern.
42. Free resizing of library/component list and additional fields in Component/Pattern Editors.
43. Pattern shape precision has been improved, recounting pattern shapes by borders when you change the number of pads/dimensions in Pattern Editor.
44. Pad to copper pour thermals are rotated by pad/component angle.
45. Selecting object and opening its submenu from Design Manager in Schematic and PCB (right click on the item in the Design Manager).
46. Groups in Component and Pattern Editors, similar to Schematic and PCB.
47. Measure tool in Schematic and Component Editor.
48. Properties dialog windows may change locked objects after confirmation.
49. Updating PCB from Schematic keeps locked components non-existent in Schematic.
50. Export all Gerber and Drill files into a zip archive with a single click.
51. Configurable default filenames for drill export.

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

Tomg
Expert

Re: DipTrace 4.0 Release

#2 Post by Tomg » 20 May 2020, 06:01

Nice job. I'm especially enjoying the new Pattern Editor features. A quick look yields the following minor bugs...

1) Pattern Editor: Bottom Courtyard shape properties dialog window is missing line width settings.
2) PCB Editor: Board Cutout shape properties dialog window is missing line width settings.
3) Schematic/PCB Editor: Update from Library returns RefDes to default location. (You have already acknowledged this problem and stated that it will take a little more time to iron out.)

The following bugs appear to be fixed...
* 3D font sizes do not reflect custom font sizes on PCB.
* Teardrops causing same-net DRC errors.
* Courtyard and Outline layers missing from DXF Import tool.
* Inconsistent Zoom Extents tool screen positioning.
* Unable to hide text assigned to RefDes.
* Pattern Editor: 3D does not properly reflect an offset through-hole pad.
* Top layer color change when exiting the Layer Priority and Order dialog window.
* Numerical suffix of RefDes disappears when updating component from library (when text is assigned to show RefDes).
Tom

Professor Chaos

#3 Post by Professor Chaos » 20 May 2020, 08:00

Thanks for making the Catalina-compatible version for MacOS!

I have one question: how can I migrate my projects and libraries created under Diptrace 3 to Diptrace 4? Do I need to copy files somewhere in the application package contents hierarchy from 3 to 4?

KuifjePDX

#4 Post by KuifjePDX » 20 May 2020, 08:03

Congratulations! Thank you for the hard work.

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 21 May 2020, 05:33

Professor Chaos wrote: 20 May 2020, 08:00 Thanks for making the Catalina-compatible version for MacOS!

I have one question: how can I migrate my projects and libraries created under Diptrace 3 to Diptrace 4? Do I need to copy files somewhere in the application package contents hierarchy from 3 to 4?
Wine prefix of DipTrace 4 is located in Applications: Open Finder > Applications > Right-click on DipTrace > Show Package Contents > drive_c > Program Files (x86) > DipTrace > Examples. Copy your projects and libraries to custom folder within the prefix.

Professor Chaos

#6 Post by Professor Chaos » 21 May 2020, 08:30

Alex wrote: 21 May 2020, 05:33
Professor Chaos wrote: 20 May 2020, 08:00 Thanks for making the Catalina-compatible version for MacOS!

Wine prefix of DipTrace 4 is located in Applications: Open Finder > Applications > Right-click on DipTrace > Show Package Contents > drive_c > Program Files (x86) > DipTrace > Examples. Copy your projects and libraries to custom folder within the prefix.
Hi Alex - within the Diptrace file browser, "My Documents" points to /Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Wineskin/My Documents/DipTrace

That path has Examples, Projects, and My Libraries folders. Should that path be used instead? I'm not clear why there are two different Examples folders in the application.

Didn't Diptrace 3 create its own directory in the OS X /Users/[username]/Documents/ directory rather than stored within the application. Is it no longer possible to work that way?
Strangely, the Diptrace file browser will not show any files or folders from the OS X user Documents directory, even though it can create files and folders within it.

Separate issue: On the installation for Diptrace, I got the following errors when I ran the xattr command (for which I had to use sudo):
xattr: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices/z:'
xattr: No such file: /Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Wineskin/Desktop/My Mac Desktop
xattr: No such file: /Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Frameworks/libpulse-mainloop-glib.dylib
xattr: No such file: /Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Frameworks/libpulse-simple.dylib
xattr: No such file: /Applications/DipTrace.app/Contents/Frameworks/libpulse.dylib
Not sure if that's anything to worry about.

Thanks!

0xdeadbeef

#7 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 24 May 2020, 05:22

I can't find any upgrade offer in the shop for non-profit licenses. Ask support directly?

gunrunnerjohn

#8 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 24 May 2020, 12:00

I have the same question, but not for Apple. I don't want to install DipTrace 4 and suddenly have all sorts of issues with existing projects! Is there some documentation on the migration process? I'm using Windows 10.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#9 Post by novarm44 » 24 May 2020, 20:48

I can't find any upgrade offer in the shop for non-profit licenses. Ask support directly?
Yes, please ask support.
I have the same question, but not for Apple. I don't want to install DipTrace 4 and suddenly have all sorts of issues with existing projects! Is there some documentation on the migration process? I'm using Windows 10.
It will do all automatically on Windows OS. With Apple we use Wine and it makes independent environment appearance for each instance of the software.
However I would recommend to store/archive your own projects and libraries and uninstall DipTrace 3 before installation of DipTrace 4 and opening/saving your projects with DipTrace 4 (or installing version 4 into different folder). This will allow you to use old version for old projects and libraries if you wish (files are not back compatible). Also set of standard libraries is different and installing DipTrace 4 over DipTrace 3 (into the same folder) will keep standard libraries from both versions.

megahallon

#10 Post by megahallon » 25 May 2020, 00:28

8. Rotating pads by any angle without changing to polygon.

About this one, as far as I can see I can still only do 90 degree rotation (using R or pad properties)? Am I missing something?