DipTrace 4.0 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Message
Author
novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 418
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#121 Post by novarm44 » 06 May 2020, 19:13

At some point in the future (after you have had a chance to rest a bit after all this work), it would be nice to see the bill of materials fixed so that it maintains concurrency with the design. It has been a known problem for several years.
I have moved this up.
V4 Beta 3 still rotates markings with components.
This is a huge step back and a major annoyance in my eyes :oops: .
Imagine you rotate many/all components and now all markings are up side down. Now you have to manually rotate every single marking. So instead of helping the designer this creates a lot of stupid work.

V3.3 was doing it as expected and kept the orientation of the markings readable.
Many customers asked for rotating with component as part of component, so we did that. We can add an option to keep marking orientation though (not in 4.0 release as it is not a small fix in frame of new marking system). Any comments from community?

b_force
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 07:17

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#122 Post by b_force » 07 May 2020, 09:09

novarm44 wrote:
06 May 2020, 19:13
At some point in the future (after you have had a chance to rest a bit after all this work), it would be nice to see the bill of materials fixed so that it maintains concurrency with the design. It has been a known problem for several years.
I have moved this up.
V4 Beta 3 still rotates markings with components.
This is a huge step back and a major annoyance in my eyes :oops: .
Imagine you rotate many/all components and now all markings are up side down. Now you have to manually rotate every single marking. So instead of helping the designer this creates a lot of stupid work.

V3.3 was doing it as expected and kept the orientation of the markings readable.
Many customers asked for rotating with component as part of component, so we did that. We can add an option to keep marking orientation though (not in 4.0 release as it is not a small fix in frame of new marking system). Any comments from community?
As far as I know, most other competitors do the same thing when it comes to rotating.
I don't know if I would have a specific preference, but I guess leaving the markings would be actually not such a bad idea.
Personally I would make an option so the user can choose what his default preference is.

Moris
Posts: 69
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 16:35
Location: Switzerland

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#123 Post by Moris » 07 May 2020, 10:54

All other Tools is used (see profile) keep markings readable - i.e. do not rotate their read orientation with components.

xfer
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Jun 2018, 12:34

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#124 Post by xfer » 07 May 2020, 11:03

I don't know if this has already been answered, but how will licensing work with version 4? I currently own version 3.3.1.3. Thanks.

Tomg
Expert
Posts: 1737
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 14:39

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#125 Post by Tomg » 07 May 2020, 14:55

From an earlier DipTrace response: "...If you ordered 3.x or upgrade to 3.x after May 31, 2019, you can get perpetual 4.x license without charge..."

Otherwise, you will have to pay the upgrade fee which I believe is 25% of the current price of your edition.
Tom

KuifjePDX
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 May 2020, 09:27

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#126 Post by KuifjePDX » 08 May 2020, 09:36

novarm44 wrote:
06 May 2020, 19:13
At some point in the future (after you have had a chance to rest a bit after all this work), it would be nice to see the bill of materials fixed so that it maintains concurrency with the design. It has been a known problem for several years.
I have moved this up.
V4 Beta 3 still rotates markings with components.
This is a huge step back and a major annoyance in my eyes :oops: .
Imagine you rotate many/all components and now all markings are up side down. Now you have to manually rotate every single marking. So instead of helping the designer this creates a lot of stupid work.

V3.3 was doing it as expected and kept the orientation of the markings readable.
Many customers asked for rotating with component as part of component, so we did that. We can add an option to keep marking orientation though (not in 4.0 release as it is not a small fix in frame of new marking system). Any comments from community?
In my opinion, it is always good to provide the option to use a feature or not so each user can customize the experience to their liking. In this particular case, I would definitely want the option to keep the text straight while rotating the part as it would be very time consuming to straighten the text after each part rotation.

Please add this option in release 4.0.1.

Thank you.

madscientist
Posts: 26
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 11:01

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#127 Post by madscientist » 10 May 2020, 20:37

whats the plan for a MAC Vine version dip trace 4.0 , will we see a release or a beta ?


thanks

novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 418
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#128 Post by novarm44 » 11 May 2020, 17:09

madscientist wrote:
10 May 2020, 20:37
whats the plan for a MAC Vine version dip trace 4.0 , will we see a release or a beta ?
We succeed running DipTrace under MAC Catalina, currently problem is very large size of installer (>1Gb), we are working on it.
Also current Mac edition requires slight modification. I suppose Mac version will appear a bit later than 4.0 release.
This is all from words of the staff who did that, so I can not specify exact terms yet.

xfer
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Jun 2018, 12:34

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#129 Post by xfer » 12 May 2020, 09:46

I think that there's a bug in dxf import in beta 3: Board outline imports perfectly and in the correct location, but mounting holes are all centered at the zero datum.

novarm44
Technical Support
Posts: 418
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 06:24
Contact:

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#130 Post by novarm44 » 12 May 2020, 15:50

xfer wrote:
12 May 2020, 09:46
I think that there's a bug in dxf import in beta 3: Board outline imports perfectly and in the correct location, but mounting holes are all centered at the zero datum.
Please provide us with the dxf file or part of it, which shows the bug. You can send it to support or upload at forum. Thank You!

Post Reply