DipTrace for Mac OS X

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
pieco

Re: DipTrace for Mac OS X

#21 Post by pieco » 26 Jan 2014, 19:49

Any update on this? The move to Dephi XE4 has happened, right?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#22 Post by novarm44 » 26 Jan 2014, 21:04

Right! 2.3.5 beta is already compiled with Delphi XE4. We plan to polish DipTrace under Delphi XE4 a bit and at least publish 2.4, then will start investigations and switch to native Mac version.

pieco

#23 Post by pieco » 28 Jan 2014, 07:51

novarm44 wrote:
Right! 2.3.5 beta is already compiled with Delphi XE4. We plan to polish DipTrace under Delphi XE4 a bit and at least publish 2.4, then will start investigations and switch to native Mac version.
The reason why I ask is because I'm teaching another class on PCB design and prototyping, and once again, I'm being pushed to Eagle (or KiCad).

Eagle is horrible, and I cannot imagine a class of noobs getting anything done with it in a limited amount of time. KiCad is actually not too bad, but just somewhat primitive. But the OSX version is a joke.

Meanwhile, I'm taking an online class on PCB design, and what's interesting is that nearly half of the students are on Macs (as the majority has been with my classes). The sentiment is the same - Eagle is the only game in town for Mac users, although they essentially hate it. It does work, even if the interface is horrendous. Many of them are running KiCad in a VM, or using bootcamp.

I'm actually at the point where I'm using Wine Bottler to make my own "Mac Diptrace", and trying to configure things so that Mac users don't get so confused by having to use a different file system.

If there's a way to put out an experimental, unsupported Mac OSX native binary, you guys really, really need to. Wait much longer, and there's going to be a useable OSX KiCad, or Eagle will get a UI makeover - and then your opportunity is gone. Time to get mindshare is Right Now.

grieblm

#24 Post by grieblm » 28 Jan 2014, 23:57

I agree as well. Our department may be switching to Macs and having a native PCB design package would tip the scales.
If DipTrace would just place a few ads in some of the developer sites and magazines there would be a stampede.
No one really likes the alternatives but no one knows about DipTrace. Your marketing really needs to improve!

tht

#25 Post by tht » 31 May 2014, 23:26

+1 for a native OS X version.

I've also just found DipTrace while looking for an alternative to Eagle. I liked a lot what I've seen while testing the Windows version of it but it's not really useable on OS X in my opinion. Slow GUI, mouse pointer sometimes offset a few pixels, an impossible-to-find-anything save-dialog, ...

Would love to help you test the beta-version if you need any feedback.

superg3

#26 Post by superg3 » 27 Jul 2014, 16:14

Hi all, it is my firs post. A fast presentation ... my name is Marcos, I am 38 years old and I am from Spain. (Excuse my bad English).

All I'm writting here is my personal opinion.

I have discovered Diptrace some weeks ago, I'm really love it, it is easy to use, intuitive, perfect for me. It has the cons of to be a wine bottle, with poor graphic suport etc....

Tonight I was looking some info about Mac native support for Diptrace because I want to purchase it, and of course I have read this thread.
I just want to say that I'm not a super engeneer, but I've been working some years for Dell and about 5 years for Apple, and I think that I know enough about Windows and MacOs platforms.

A big, big, train is passing in front of you. Now in the market share, Apple devices Vs windows devices are at parity, of course that includes tablets, smartphones and computers. If you check the stats by country you will see that more developed is the country, or with more growth it is, more is the difference to the Apple side.

Apple users use to be loyalty with Apple, mostly of them starts with an iPod, for example, and continue buying better and more expensive Apple devices along the time deppending of their economy. Today there are millions of iOs devices sold and mostly users will buy a Mac computer in a short medium time. Check the schools and the Universities, and see the number of Macs, iPads and iPhones you can found, ithey are the present and the future professionals and users of apps like Diptrace.

The feedback from Diptrace users are great. When you moving Diptrace to MacOs native I am sure you will jump to another level. The app store is a incredible showcase for companies and developers, also all the dedicated sites about Apple.

So I hope to see a Mac Diptrace soon, and of course I'm ready if you need a tester with a MB Air, MB Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iPhone, iPad... all at home ;-) .

You are doing a great job!

Best regards,

Marcos Lemos

mgriebling

#27 Post by mgriebling » 20 Jan 2015, 09:46

Any updates on how the Mac-native version is progressing?

Alex
Technical Support

#28 Post by Alex » 29 Jan 2015, 20:23

There is no news about native Mac OS version. We are working on different features.

Vespian

#29 Post by Vespian » 15 Jun 2016, 06:32

Ok.. Now we're at v3.0.0.1. You'd previously announced plans to begin investigating this after 2.4 was released. Are there any updates for this? Having this application be aware of gestures would be amazing. Scrolling is currently linked to the middle click... which the Mac does not have.

pieco

#30 Post by pieco » 27 Jun 2016, 13:38

Autodesk just bought Eagle and knowing Autodesk, they're going to screw it up and piss off existing users. This is the time to release the OSX version. Oh, and also I just moved on to Mac, so it'd be nice for me, too :)