DipTrace 3.3 Release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: DipTrace 3.3 Release

#91 Post by novarm44 » 20 Sep 2019, 04:29

Parts Management:
I was looking for a simple way to link an external database (could be a simple spreadsheet) with Part info to Diptrace.
This database is externally maintained with whatever field one wishes to have, and in the future if a new field is added it's a simple column addition.
I understand what you mean. We plan to make similar features (not in 4.0 yet), but they work in a bit different way as each file of DipTrace has all information it shows, not just links. So this feature should be properly integrated into existing program structure.
Also add the feature of adding Chamfer T Junctions as mentioned here:
Moved this to 4.0 road map
Would it be possible to include a Window drop-down menu item as I mentioned on 27 Nov. 2018?
Not yet. This is not hard, but may cause some serious hidden bugs, as it needs to change data structure to allow multiple instances of board/schematic.

Tomg
Expert

#92 Post by Tomg » 23 Sep 2019, 09:19

Up through version 3.3.1.3, the Component Editor will not allow you to define default locations/orientations for "RefDes" and "Value". This can result in some extra work during schematic creation. The same could be said for the Pattern Editor/PCB Layout relationship. Will this change in version 4?
Tom

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#93 Post by novarm44 » 23 Sep 2019, 09:43

Up through version 3.3.1.3, the Component Editor will not allow you to define default locations/orientations for "RefDes" and "Value". This can result in some extra work during schematic creation. The same could be said for the Pattern Editor/PCB Layout relationship. Will this change in version 4?
3.3.1.3 - in component/pattern editor place text, right click on it and select "Show" > RefDes, Value, etc.
The text will be attached to the parameter and will be updated automatically when you change RefDes, Value. etc. in any program.
The only issue here it does not count it as component marking and will show marking by default additionally, so you need to change custom marking settings (hide it) via component properties.

4.0 - text object in component/pattern editor works in the same way, but:
- in Schematic/PCB it sees such text as component marking and will not add more texts with same parameters when you select in in component markings;
- you can use F10 to move/rotate such texts directly in Schematic/PCB.
Limitation: font size of such objects can be changed in Component/Pattern Editor only. If this is critical, please let me know - it could be easily changed (add option to use same font settings as for markings generated in Schematic/PCB).

Tomg
Expert

#94 Post by Tomg » 23 Sep 2019, 13:54

"...add option to use same font settings as for markings generated in Schematic/PCB..."
Sounds like a necessity to me. Would this option be available within the Schematic/PCB editors, the Component/Pattern editors or both? Perhaps it should use the Schematic/PCB font settings by default, with an option for a local override in those editors? Would a "Justify" setting (Left/Center/Right) be asking too much?
Tom

JoR

#95 Post by JoR » 24 Sep 2019, 08:15

novarm44 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 09:43 Limitation: font size of such objects can be changed in Component/Pattern Editor only. If this is critical, please let me know - it could be easily changed (add option to use same font settings as for markings generated in Schematic/PCB).
Doesn't sound like a critical feature, but obviously better to be done this way, especially if it's something easy to implement.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#96 Post by novarm44 » 12 Oct 2019, 13:05

Sounds like a necessity to me. Would this option be available within the Schematic/PCB editors, the Component/Pattern editors or both? Perhaps it should use the Schematic/PCB font settings by default, with an option for a local override in those editors? Would a "Justify" setting (Left/Center/Right) be asking too much?
In upcoming version Text Justify and Horz/Vert Alignment can be set for any text object including component marking.
Did the following: by default it uses font size defined in editor (component has the same look when you create it), optionally you can use global schematic/pcb font or custom font defined in schematic/pcb component properties. Check box is invisible if component doesn't have markings placed in editors.
Attachments
markings.png
markings.png (122.02 KiB) Viewed 3311 times

DerekG

#97 Post by DerekG » 12 Oct 2019, 14:00

novarm44 wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 13:05 In upcoming version Text Justify and Horz/Vert Alignment can be set for any text object including component marking.
This is an excellent improvement. Thank you.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#98 Post by novarm44 » 12 Oct 2019, 19:48

DerekG wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 14:00
novarm44 wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 13:05 In upcoming version Text Justify and Horz/Vert Alignment can be set for any text object including component marking.
This is an excellent improvement. Thank you.
This is what it looks like
Attachments
texts.png
texts.png (110.69 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

Tomg
Expert

#99 Post by Tomg » 13 Oct 2019, 00:24

This will be very helpful. Thank you very much for all of your hard work.
Tom