Potentiometer problem

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
bytraper

Potentiometer problem

#1 Post by bytraper » 15 Jul 2010, 18:02

Hi everyone,

Im trying to make a schematic into a PCB but in the librarys I have there is only 1 pot, but when i try and convert it to a PCB there isn't a pattern for it so it just leaves it out! does anybody have a pattern for a trimpot and a resistor?

Thanks!

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Potentiometer problem

#2 Post by Alex » 15 Jul 2010, 23:55

The potentiometer from standard library has not attached pattern. You should attach pattern to the component in Schematic program before converting it to PCB.
Please find some potentiometer's patterns in "GENERAL" pattern library. For example, POT1S, POT2T, etc.

bytraper

#3 Post by bytraper » 16 Jul 2010, 14:07

HOW?

I can't see the POT1T POT1S in the schematic program at all, i can only see it in the schematic program.

I am trying to give the components in the schematic a pattern or update their existing patterns, but no matter what I do i cant work it out. I go to add pattern and it asks for libs, i try to find the libs and nothing comes up no matter where I look :(

Is anybody up to the task of making a Video for this to make it easier for new users?

And speaking of new videos, in the tutorial videos I found on the website, when it goes from "Creating a PCB" to"Autorouting" theres suddenly a board layout in the picture... Where did it come from? how do I do that it?

I am sorry for all the newbie questions, but while some aspects of the software are great and easy to follow, others are just way more complex than they need to be!

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 17 Jul 2010, 00:13

I suppose, you have a schematic with already placed potentiometer in it. Right click on the potentiometer and select "Attached pattern". In appeared window, click on Add button above library list and choose "_general.lib" from folder "C:\Program Files\DipTrace\Lib\" or other folder depending on where you installed DipTrace. Then select POT1S or other pattern from the list on lower right side of window. Click OK to apply changes and close dialog window.
Save the file and convert it to PCB.

We used few different boards in video guide.

bytraper

#5 Post by bytraper » 17 Jul 2010, 01:02

Hi Alex,

I appreciate the help, I actually tried that, but while I can see the lib directory, when i go into it there's nothing there...
I even tried to copy the general lib file to the examples directory so i KNEW it was there, but for some reason when i browsed there, there was still nothing at all that I could see. The only time I can see the general file is in the PCB proggy only, but not in the schematic proggy at all.

-- 17 Jul 2010, 18:45 --

For anybody else having the same problem on windows 7, the _general.lib file *must* be put into C:\Users\{username}\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries\

The diptrace programs must be run in Administrator mode too, or they don't work properly.

Thanks for the good heads up Alex.

tinker1

#6 Post by tinker1 » 19 Jul 2010, 16:11

I have added a pot to my personal library. But what are the odds that the pot I use is the same as the one you use? 3296 by chance? http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3296.pdf

Shlammod

#7 Post by Shlammod » 11 Jan 2011, 04:36

I got a problem with pots as well.
I can use the suggested solution, but when I want to make a PCB the dimensions will never fit.
Also I'm working on a graphic EQ for which I want to use slider pots, I cannot find anything usefull for them in DipTrace

any ideas?

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 13 Jan 2011, 02:30

In the next version, we will all a lot of new potentiometers from different manufacturers, because standard libraries are poor on pots now .