Connection Manager - Combining Nets

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
GuitarPhil

Connection Manager - Combining Nets

#1 Post by GuitarPhil » 29 Oct 2020, 03:02

I have been trying to connect a couple of parts to an existing net that has hidden wires. In connection manager I have opened the net I want to connect to (D21/SCL - see screenshot) and I am trying, for example, to add Q1, pin 3 to that net. When I select Q1 I don't get any pin numbers appearing in the drop list. Have I misunderstood how Connection Manager works or is there an easy way to join Q1(3) and R38(2) to the D21/SCL net?
https://i.ibb.co/Y2BVJbG/Screenshot-202 ... 134401.jpg

PS How do I get the image to appear in my post? I keep getting an error that the image dimensions cannot be determined!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Connection Manager - Combining Nets

#2 Post by Tomg » 29 Oct 2020, 04:21

Here's one method, but be ready to use the Undo tool before resaving (just in case)...
1) In the Design Area double-click on the Q1(3)/R38(2) net to bring up the Net Properties dialog window.
2) In the Net Properties dialog window type in the name of the hidden net (replaces the original name), enable the [x]Connect Nets by Name option and click on OK.
3) Make sure all of the other nets are still intact (no unexpected renaming/connections) before resaving.
Tom

GuitarPhil

Re: Connection Manager - Combining Nets

#3 Post by GuitarPhil » 29 Oct 2020, 04:56

Many thanks Tom. I think I did try that before I posted my question but it seemed to mess up some other connections – definitely needed the Undo function LOL.

Edit: That does work Tom. When I first tried I didn't have the option box checked. You still need to be careful to type the new net name correctly otherwise you'll either connect to the wrong net (if there is a net with the name you typed) or it will simply rename the existing net.