Changing size of imported copper shape?

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
eps

Changing size of imported copper shape?

#1 Post by eps » 22 Oct 2020, 05:28

Hi,

I would like to do something very simple but can't seem to figure out how. I've imported a DXF file and my part shows up perfectly in the PCB Layout. I can edit different nodes of the custom copper shape but I'm not able to adjust the overall size of it. Can anyone let me know where a scale or drag function is?

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

Re: Changing size of imported copper shape?

#2 Post by Tomg » 23 Oct 2020, 03:39

To drag an imported DXF file shape to a different location you can either left-drag its perimeter without grabbing one of its node points, or select/highlight the shape and use the arrow keys.

To change the imported DXF file shape, drag a node point. If you need additional node points, right-click on the perimeter and choose "Insert Point" in the context menu. You can also edit the shape's coordinates by double-clicking on its perimeter to bring up the "Shape Properties" dialog window and then selecting the [Polygon Points...] button.

As far as I know there is no way to reproportion an imported DXF file figure. The only DipTrace tool that has that capability is the "Place Picture" tool. That might work if you can save your shape as a picture file (*.png, *.jpg, etc.). After placing the picture on the Signal Layer, double-click on it to bring up the Picture Properties context menu to reveal the controls. Keep in mind that elements of the imported picture can't be edited and integrating it with the rest of your design will be a clunky process at best.
Tom

eps

#3 Post by eps » 23 Oct 2020, 04:32

Thank for you help Tom! That is disappointing about not having ability to resize a DXF.

The "Insert Point" option doesn't allow for Arcs to be created from three points correct?

Is it possible to create a shape using the drawing tools (change the lines to signal layer) and then copper fill the closed shape?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 23 Oct 2020, 06:03

The "Insert Point" option doesn't allow for Arcs to be created from three points correct?
That's what it looks like to me. Arcs are possible when drawing a board outline so as a last resort you could draw on the Board Outline layer in a separate PCB Editor instance, create arcs, etc. When the drawing is complete, export as a DXF file then import into the signal layer of the original PCB with the fill option enabled. I think the best course of action would be to utilize a good 2D drawing program that can export DXF files. I have never used it, but I have seen some folks recommend QCAD (it's free/open source). QCAD can be found here...
https://qcad.org/en/.
Is it possible to create a shape using the drawing tools (change the lines to signal layer) and then copper fill the closed shape?
Using the filled polygon drawing tool on the Signal layer should do the trick for basic shapes. If you need to use various drawing tools to construct a more complex shape, then you'll need to export the completed drawing as a DXF file and import it with the fill option enabled.
Tom