router won't route GND - which is a different class than default

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
inventorgeorge

router won't route GND - which is a different class than default

#1 Post by inventorgeorge » 08 Dec 2019, 14:03

I have a board that I have routed several times. Each time, I move some components around, then reroute. no issues.
I have all nets as default class except GND, which I set to wider than default. Never a problem. Now a did another route [shape router], and did not get 100%.
So just to see, I tried the grid router. Miserable! So I went back to the shape router, unrouted all, then tried again. Now it will not route ANY of the GND connections.

I've tried reducing the GND width, no luck. I even tried closing the file, reopening it, and still I get NO GND routing. Everything else routes, but it will not touch any GND connections.
I am using version 3.2.0.1, Intel i5 3 gig processor, 12 gigs RAM and terabytes of hard drive.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why, after working numerous times, now it will not route this one net? Is it mad at me for trying the grid router? Should I apologize? Or beg forgiveness?

Tomg
Expert

Re: router won't route GND - which is a different class than default

#2 Post by Tomg » 11 Dec 2019, 11:30

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is to right-click on one of the GND pads, choose "Net Properties..." in the pop-up menu to bring up the Net Properties dialog window and make sure the Auto-route Mode: drop-list is not set to "Don't Route". Otherwise, I'd have to take a look at your PCB file to see if I could find out what's going on.
Tom

Jetta

Re: router won't route GND - which is a different class than default

#3 Post by Jetta » 13 Sep 2020, 23:09

Hi All,

I know this is old thread from late last year, but it is very relevant to what is happening with me. I have run the auto Shape Router and it worked great, all I had to do was tweak the tracks. I was working on another project and the Gnd would not auto route. I then went back to my original board that auto routed great, I un-routed the tracks and performed the auto route again and the Gnd tracks won't route this time, I'm at a loss at what it could be, I did not change any settings.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening.

Thanks