PCB Layout

Post anything here (except spam)
agareau

PCB Layout

#1 Post by agareau » 10 Dec 2019, 00:00

I am trying to "Print" ONLY the bottom Silk layer.
Under "Objects", I un-check "PAds", "Vias","Holes", "Traces" and "Copper Pours"
Under "Layers", I un-check "Top Silk"
Then in Preview, Diptrace displays the "Top Silk" layer .
Activating "All Layers", the "Bottom Silk" is added back in.
I only want the "Bottom Silk" layer to print.
How do I proceed ?
Andre

Tomg
Expert

Re: PCB Layout

#2 Post by Tomg » 10 Dec 2019, 04:06

1) In the PCB Layout editor make sure all settings are normal (you don't have to turn off any objects or layers).
2) In the Main Menu click on File and choose "Preview..." in the drop-down menu to bring up the Preview dialog window.
3) In the Preview dialog window select "Bottom" in the Current: drop-list, choose "Current" in the Show: drop-list and, if necessary, click on the [Objects] button to display the objects selection list.
4) In the objects selection list enable only the [x]Silk object and disable all remaining objects.
5) Make sure all other settings are as desired and click on the [Print] button.
Tom

agareau

#3 Post by agareau » 26 Jan 2020, 10:45

Thank you, Tom
BTW, is there a command to "Unroute the Copper Pour(s) ?
Andre

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 26 Jan 2020, 16:13

To make it easy on yourself assign hotkeys for the "Update All Copper Pours" and "Unpour All Copper Pours" tools, otherwise you'll have to click on each and every pour individually. The appropriate hotkeys can be found as follows...
1) In the Main Menu click on Tools and select Hotkey Settings... in the drop-list to bring up the Hotkey Settings dialog window.
2) In the Hotkey Settings dialog window scroll down to the "Objects" group to locate the two previously-mentioned tools. A while back someone here mentioned that they use the start-bracket key "[" for unpouring and the end-bracket key "]" for updating (repouring) all copper pours. I have adopted the same intuitive settings and it has worked well for me.
Tom

agareau

#5 Post by agareau » 27 Jan 2020, 02:08

Thank you Tom.
It must be me, but I still cannot find the "Unpour All Copper Pours" command.
I know where and have used thee "Update All Copper Pours" command, which is located in the "Objects" section.
Where am I going wrong ?
Thanks.
Andre

agareau

#6 Post by agareau » 27 Jan 2020, 02:19

Found it !
Knowing that the command exists was a big Help.
Having to "Right Click" on the edge of the CP and then go into the "State" menu.....
was NOT obvious to me and possibly many others at my LOW experience level.
I would have thought that simply adding another line such as "CP Sub Menu" or
"Unpour CP" in the "Objects" menu, would have been simple.
Again Thanks Tom.
Andre

agareau

#7 Post by agareau » 12 Feb 2020, 09:08

Tom, I would like to ask you a question concerning "Component Markings"...is there a way to rotate the individual, say the "Refdes", independantly of the part itself ?Thank you, Andre

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 12 Feb 2020, 10:19

1) Press softkey [F10] to enable the "Move component markings" mode. You should see the mode indicator change in the Hint Area located at the bottom right-hand side of the screen.
2) Left-grab the desired reference designator and, while continuing to hold down the left mouse button, press either hotkey "r" or the [Space] bar to rotate it in 90-degree intervals. You will notice that only two orientations are possible in DipTrace 3.3.1.3. (Supposedly, the soon-to-be-released version 4 will offer free-angle orientation.) You can also reposition the reference designator at the same time by dragging it around with the mouse while holding down the left mouse button.
3) To exit the "Move component markings" mode, either press softkey [F10] once more or right-click once in an empty section of the Design Area to return to the "Default Mode". Again, you should see the mode indicator change in the Hint Area of the display at the bottom right-hand side of the screen.
Tom

agareau

#9 Post by agareau » 12 Feb 2020, 11:18

As usual, many thanks Tom ! I knew how to move it, but what got me was the lowercase "r".
Thank you.
Andre

agareau

#10 Post by agareau » 14 Feb 2020, 06:07

Dear Mr. Tom.
I am turning to you as truly an "Expert" on Diptrace and myself being only a beginner at best, who hopes I won't wear out my "Welcome" with you.
I do so, because your answers are always concise, clear and correct.
I am laying out a pcb with some rather large power traces and placing many of them, "one-over-other", (a 2 layer pcb), in order to increase the current capacity.
Unfortunately, I find myself continously "fighting" with Diptrace, who has a mind of its own, inspite of my being in manual mode. It appears to decide to nudge parts of traces to a different position and suddenly the width of a portion of the trace. I am spending 80% of my times going back and trying to correct what it, (Diptrace), has done. Is ther some parameter, somewhere, that can be "set", that will allow me to have "what you see, is what you get" and not have Diptrace second guessing what I am doing or trying to do ?
Also, while I'm at it and chewing up your time, sorry !, is ther some way to assign different colors to different nets. I feel that this would make identifying different "Nets", such as +24V, +12V, -12V, +5V, -5V, 3.3V a great deal easier when manually routing.
Again, thank you !
Andre