DipTrace comparison

Post here your comments, suggestions and problems
davorin

DipTrace comparison

#1 Post by davorin » 05 Jan 2012, 00:47

By accident I found in Google that there also exists a PCB/Schematic software called DipTrace which I installed now as an evaluation version...

How does it compare to more well known products (at least here in EUrope ;o) such as Eagle, Target and the like?
How well are you satisfied with it...maybe also coming from another software?

In the past I only worked with Zukken CadStar, Mentor PADS, Orcad PCB and Eagle...but as I've started my own little one-man company
the budget isn't that high anymore when I worked in bigger companies (o;

Also I haven't found an exact datasheet of DipTrace of all its features...like for example for the 4-layer version if it allows to have 4 signal layers and two additional power planes or not...

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: DipTrace comparison

#2 Post by novarm44 » 06 Jan 2012, 12:09

Number of plane layers is unlimited for all editions (this is specified on order page), so you can do 4 signal layers and 2 power planes with Standard Edition. Please see guided tour and try the software yourself. We are currently making detailed list of features, but it is not published yet.

There are number of comparison threads in the Internet - type "diptrace eagle" (please see posting dates as DipTrace is continuously developed and some comparison charts are non-actual), however the best is your own evaluation of different packages.

blossom

#3 Post by blossom » 22 Feb 2012, 03:32

novarm44 wrote:Number of plane layers is unlimited for all editions (this is specified on order page), so you can do 4 signal layers and 2 power planes with Standard Edition. Please see guided tour and try the software yourself. We are currently making detailed list of features, but it is not published yet.

There are number of comparison threads in the Internet - type "diptrace eagle" (please see posting dates as DipTrace is continuously developed and some comparison charts are non-actual), however the best is your own evaluation of different packages.
How about downloading the free edition, what the limitation when i want use for personal hobbies?

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 23 Feb 2012, 01:45

Limitations for the free edition are 300 pins and 2 signal layers.

electronics-engineer

#5 Post by electronics-engineer » 26 Feb 2012, 20:58

davorin wrote:How does it compare to more well known products?
I have tried just about every PCB/Schematic package that has an evaluation or freeware version. I am quite experienced in board design - I was a certified OrCad trainer back when OrCad ran on DOS, and I taught classes in UltiBoard. Of all the products I have tested I like DipTrace the best. There are a few extra features that the big guys that charge tens of thousands of dollars have, but nothing I can't live without. Basically the DipTrace team "gets it." A lot of the products on the market today make you wonder if the developers have ever laid out a board themselves. Using DipTrace, I just get the feel that it was created by someone who understands what a board designer needs. It isn't perfect - the help files in particular could be a lot clearer and more complete - but it is, in my opinion, far better than products like Eagle.

(I have no business relation with DipTrace other than as a paying customer who is happy with the product.)