Post subject: Via in SMD pad
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 15:05 

I've been working with 3.5mm phone jacks and barrel power connectors, a couple of suppliers suggested adding via to the SMD pad to help support the Jack. So I tried it:
Attachment:
nail.JPG

in 3D
Attachment:
nail1.JPG

I built this with PCB editor, made one PAD and added 4 via's, cut and pasted then renamed all pads but I had to rename each via to pin 9 (Why did vias pick up the need for a pad number?). Built a component with 9 pins and added the pattern after saving it into a pattern library (NOTE: Bug, the PCB Editor created the pattern but when saved as a component to a library I don't have a means to name the pattern, I have to open the pattern editor and select the blank space then name it.) I created a PCB and placed the pattern:
Attachment:
nail2.jpg

I appears this will work and I believe if I rename the via to 9 (last pin number + 1) before copying it this won't be so labor intensive.

My Suggestion would be a tool that allows placing nail down vias on SMD pads as arrays without associating pin numbers with the vias.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.