Post subject: Assembly layer shapes on Pattern Editor
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 01:26 

Hello

The original issue I had some time ago:

http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10538

I'm bringing this issue back up. I'm again having this issue. Is there a way to resolve this?

Basically, I have assembly layer information in pattern editor devices that are set to a line width of 0.001 but when the pattern is brought into the layout the lines bulge to such a large size so I can't see the component itself..it gets covered up in places. As noted in the first post I'm working with much smaller parts (die/ICs) so the line widths (even at 0.001) can be pretty large. However, what I see in the pattern editor is much smaller than when it's rendered in the PCB editor.

Any help would be appreciated.

jom

-- 01 Oct 2017, 21:57 --

EDIT to ADD: I'm also having trouble with a "Board Cutout" that I've set to 0.001 in the Layout program but it's clearly 0.006 and, again, is making things hard to see. I need to have a precise cutout since my IC needs to fit into the cutout within a tolerance. The problem is that I cannot see the die shape since it's covered by the Board Cutout layer (that is too large). What gives?

Note the much thicker board cutout I have. Note the dark grey...that's the board cutout:

An earlier layout which did not have the problem. These pics are roughly the same dimensions:

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Assembly layer shapes on Pattern Editor
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 13:06 
Expert

Unfortunately, the global Line Width setting for the Board Outline in the PCB Layout editor (View > Line Width... > Board Outline:) also sets the global Board Cutout line width. There does not appear to be any sort of "default to local" option for line widths in the PCB Layout editor. Also, the minimum DipTrace working resolution is limited to 0.003 mm even after setting it to 0.001 mm. The working resolution could probably be improved by the developers if they reduced the maximum allowable board size from, apparently, its current and impractical 43 x 26 METERS to a more reasonable limit like 2 x 2 meters).

As a workaround I suppose you could reduce the PCB Layout editor's global Line Width value for the Board Outline, but DipTrace's current minimum working resolution will still throw a 0.003 mm roadblock in your way.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 13:46 

Thanks Tom

However, I'm trying to understand why I can see a more narrow cutout in one file (bottom) but won't work for me in the top figure file. They are both roughly the same dimensions.

Someone needs to fix this especially if users work with die...which I do a lot.

Thanks again

Anyone from DT listening?

jom

Last edited by jom on 02 Oct 2017, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 13:54 
Expert

jom wrote:
"...I'm trying to understand why I can see a more narrow cutout in one file (bottom) but won't work for me in the top figure file. They are both roughly the same dimensions..."
The line width setting is stored in each file.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 14:18 

Thanks Tom...I found the menu under "View". I'd never used that before nor had even seen it. There are "nooks and crannys" in the software that are still new to me I guess. Thanks!

jom