Flip a selection in Component Editor?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Exality

Flip a selection in Component Editor?

#1 Post by Exality » 28 Sep 2017, 07:19

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand-new user (first day), working my way through the DipTrace tutorial with my own simple PCB design. I'm pretty experienced with Altium but looking for an alternative which isn't as bloated and expensive.

I had to create a connector component, and couldn't find a way to select a group of objects (pins plus graphics) and flip the selected group only. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Gerrit
Gerrit

Tomg
Expert

Re: Flip a selection in Component Editor?

#2 Post by Tomg » 28 Sep 2017, 23:06

To my knowledge, there is no logical way to apply a non-global flip action to a specific group of objects while in the Component Editor. This is one example of a few basic DipTrace usability issues that have been frustrating users for years. The Pattern Editor has a similar "feature" and user complaints about these basic usability issues have not yet been addressed by the developers. In the meantime, here is a work-around...

1) Select all of the objects that you do not want to include in the global action and perform a cut (Ctrl + X).
2) Go to the Main Menu and execute the desired global action on the remaining objects (Edit > Vertical Flip/Horizontal Flip).
3) Paste the previously-cut objects group back into the Design Area (Ctrl + V). If needed, use the arrow keys to move the newly-pasted objects group back to its original location.
Tom

Exality

Re: Flip a selection in Component Editor?

#3 Post by Exality » 29 Sep 2017, 04:17

Thanks for the workaround, Tom. Yes, this would be a problem in pattern editing too. Your method gets the job done though.

Regards,
Gerrit
Gerrit