Post subject: Moved pin from +3.3V to GND, now +3.3V seems shorted to GND
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 10:44 

Had a pin on an 8-pin DIP which was connected to net name +3.3V (with a wire). Realized this was wrong so I deleted the line in schematic capture, leaving the pin with nothing connected. Then I connected it to GND. Voila, now +3.3V is connected to ground everywhere in my schematic. I saved it before I realized the error.

I've tried it a couple times now. The net name of the pin when not connected is "Undefined". Depending on the order I do things, the global short-everything-together net is either called "+3.3V" or "GND".

Now I really don't know what to do beyond completely starting over which is not going to make me very happy. Help?

Post subject: Re: Moved pin from +3.3V to GND, now +3.3V seems shorted to
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 13:02 
Expert

Try this...
1) Delete the offending connection that caused the GND net to merge into the +3.3V net, leaving the two original nets intact (i.e. don't delete the original wires). Note: If you have run busses that contained the original GND net, which is now gone after being merged into the +3.3V net, delete any of the original +3.3V net wire segments that connect to those busses, leaving the rest of the original wire intact.
2) Right-click on one of the original +3.3V net wires (not a pin) and select Properties... in the pop-up menu.
3) In the Net Properties dialog window make sure the net name is "+3.3V", disable all options and select OK. Be warned that any related wire labels will not be updated; you will have to do that manually.
4) The original GND net should now have an automatically assigned generic name. Right-click on one of its wires (not a pin), left-click on the new generic net name at the top of the pop-up menu, enter a new net name of "GND" in the Net Name dialog window, make sure the [ ]Rename Related Wires Only option is disabled and select OK.
5) If necessary, reconnect/add the GND net to any bus that originally contained it.
6) If necessary, reconnect/add the +3.3V net to any bus that originally contained it.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Moved pin from +3.3V to GND, now +3.3V seems shorted to
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 15:06 

Thanks Tom, that looks like it did the trick!

:D