Single-pad components not included in pick and place data

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
docentes37

Single-pad components not included in pick and place data

#1 Post by docentes37 » 26 Aug 2017, 05:32

In my design I have screw terminals that consist of a single through-hole and test points that consist of a single SMT pad. I need these components to be populated by the assembly house like all the other components. However, these components are not included in the pick-and-place output, I assume because they have only one terminal (i.e., one through-hole or one SMT pad). Is there a simple way to make PCB Layout recognize these as normal components so that they are included in the pick and place data?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Single-pad components not included in pick and place dat

#2 Post by Tomg » 26 Aug 2017, 23:25

The pattern needs at least two drawing objects to be considered a component. Just add one more drawing object to the pattern such as a target cross or a perimeter outline on either the assembly or silkscreen layer. Once the pattern has the second drawing object, save it and then...
1) Re-attach the pattern to the component and resave.
2) Update the component in the schematic and resave.
3) Renew the PCB (By Components) and resave.

EDIT: It looks like Alex beat me to it.
Last edited by Tomg on 28 Aug 2017, 22:18, edited 4 times in total.
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 28 Aug 2017, 00:40

Components with single pad only are not added to Pick and Place file. We did it to exclude mounting pads from Pick and Place file. You can add at least one shape to component (silkscreen outline for example). After that the component will be included to Pick and Place output.

docentes37

#4 Post by docentes37 » 28 Aug 2017, 02:19

Thanks for the information; that's an easy solution.