Post subject: 3D import fails
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 00:15 

I found a 3D step part for an arduino nano but when I try to import it DipTrace hangs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 3D import fails
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 05:53 
Expert

That's a 49.7MB file, which is enormous for one "dumb solid" component. I tried to take a look at it in Alibre, but there was nothing to display after it loaded up. I then loaded it into FreeCAD. That took over five minutes before displaying what looked like a corrupted drawing, then it locked up. Maybe this is why DipTrace choked on it. Try downloading it again (or download it from another site) to see if the results change.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 09:06 
Technical Support

The file is huge. Anyway it shouldn't hang DipTrace. We will investigate file loading, thank you for the report.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 10:05 

Tomg wrote:
That's a 49.7MB file, which is enormous for one "dumb solid" component. I tried to take a look at it in Alibre, but there was nothing to display after it loaded up. I then loaded it into FreeCAD. That took over five minutes before displaying what looked like a corrupted drawing, then it locked up. Maybe this is why DipTrace choked on it. Try downloading it again (or download it from another site) to see if the results change.
The source: https://grabcad.com/library/arduino-nano--1

I downloaded the IGS version and converted it to STEP/stp then viewed it in FreeCAD:
Attachment:
arduino1.jpg

That file was compressed by 7-Zip to a zip file which is what was uploaded. I just took that file and uncompressed it with Windows Expand all command and am waiting on it to load in FreeCAD .... still waiting.... still waiting.... it loaded and now it is thinking about ViewFit, I had to click on the display to get a response, still waiting.... One of the biggest pains in 3D is the fact none of the vendors can agree on a format that is portable, mesh, material, lights, camera.... It's DONE! Again!
Attachment:
arduino2.jpg

Notice the Python Console? (Hint.. Hint.. Alex)
In TurboCAD I can render this to look close to the source:
Attachment:
arduino3.jpg

Each render is 22 seconds....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 09:09 
Technical Support

DipTrace can use IGES models as well. Please try to attach IGES model instead converting the model to STEP format.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 23:28 

Alex wrote:
DipTrace can use IGES models as well. Please try to attach IGES model instead converting the model to STEP format.

Here is only the IGES model zipped

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 08:21 
Technical Support

IGES model is loaded few minutes (depend on CPU speed) but it is rendered correctly in PCB Layout.