Can you have more than 1 3D model in a pattern

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
DaveD

Can you have more than 1 3D model in a pattern

#1 Post by DaveD » 09 Aug 2017, 20:48

Hi All,

I'm new to Diptrace and struggling with some of the basics of creating new parts.

I'm trying to create a part for a fuse holder that uses 2 fuse clips, 1 clip at each end of the fuse. The pattern is easy, just add the holes for the clips the correct distance apart. I have a 3D model of the clip from Keystone and I can add it to the pattern and it looks OK. Where I am stuck is how to add the second clip as the part needs 2 of them.

Is this even possible? I realize that the clips are individual parts but it would be a pain to manually have to layout 2 clips the correct distance every time I want to place a fuse. I'm guessing that I would have to create a single model with the 2 clips in a different program and import it into Diptrace.

If there is a way to do this in Diptrace I would appreciate someone cluing me in.

Thanks,

Dave

Tomg
Expert

Re: Can you have more than 1 3D model in a pattern

#2 Post by Tomg » 10 Aug 2017, 23:02

There is no way to do this in DipTrace. You will have to make your own 2-clip 3D model or find it somewhere else. I have five Littelfuse 3D models of differing dimensions and pin configurations (including fuses) that I created for my custom libraries: 2AG-111, 5x20-100, 5x20-111, 5x25-100 and 5x30-100. If you think one of these would work in place of your Keystone part, I can post all five of my Littelfuse STEP files here in a zip folder. They are not artistic or colorful, but they should get the job done. Which Keystone fuse clip (part number) are you using?
Attachments
2AG-111.gif
2AG-111.gif (37.07 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Tom

DaveD

#3 Post by DaveD » 11 Aug 2017, 10:22

Thanks Tom,

I kind of expected that but wanted to be sure. It seems that being able to create assemblies would be a useful addition to DipTrace but I'm not sure how much work it would be to implement.

Thanks for your kind offer of the Littelfuse model. I've switched to a Schurter part and have a good 3D model of 1 clip. It will be pretty easy to mirror it and create the socket.

Another question in a similar vein. How do you create a socketed part? Is there some way for example to place a DIP socket on the board and then plug an IC into it? The only way that I can see to do it would be to create 3D models outside of DipTrace for every possible socket that I want to use. Quite the pain.

In this case it would be nice but hardly essential to show a fuse in the socket.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 12 Aug 2017, 02:03

DaveD wrote:"...How do you create a socketed part? Is there some way for example to place a DIP socket on the board and then plug an IC into it? The only way that I can see to do it would be to create 3D models outside of DipTrace for every possible socket that I want to use. Quite the pain..."
I think you would have to create a separate 3D model showing a part plugged into a socket, attach it to a new pattern and attach the new pattern to a new component for every component required. A definite pain. And then you would need to somehow figure out how to handle the BOM.
Tom