Silk Screen Double Text Line?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
darb

Silk Screen Double Text Line?

#1 Post by darb » 15 Jun 2017, 01:09

Hi All

I am inserting some text on my board design as a silk screen.

I was hoping to place some text on the board in two lines. For example;

ABCDEFGHIJK

But, at the moment, I only seem to be able to generate a single line of text. For example;

ABCDEFGHIJK 12345678910

Does anyone know if you can add/generate two lines of text in the one text box or will I have to stack one under the other?

Thanks.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Silk Screen Double Text Line?

#2 Post by Tomg » 15 Jun 2017, 01:14

You'll have to stack them. This is a feature requested many times in the past, but so far nothing has come of it. Here's a more recent request - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11621, and here's a blast from the past - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5115.
Tom

darb

#3 Post by darb » 15 Jun 2017, 09:59

Ok thanks Tom. Good to know. I just wanted to ensure I wasn't missing something in terms of how I was issuing the software.

I looked at the links. I haven't used the "vector" option as yet. As the option suggests, I gather that allows for text to be angled rather than being in the horizontal or vertical planes. Is that correct?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 15 Jun 2017, 11:49

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have read that vector font is preferred in PCB designs because it consists of lines, curves and coordinates (i.e. vector graphics) and is scalable without losing definition, which may be the reason it plays nicely with Gerber files. You can use non-vector fonts (e.g. TrueType) in your designs, but there will be no guarantees that what you see in the Design Area will be what you get in the Gerber file or even what the board house might end up producing. This is another good reason to double-check your designs using DipTrace's Gerber Preview tool or any other Gerber viewer.
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 16 Jun 2017, 00:51

We have started multi-line text developing. The feature may be added in the next version.

darb

#6 Post by darb » 16 Jun 2017, 01:15

Hello Tom/Alex

Thanks for the tips and information Tom. I'll definitely look at the Gerber preview. I didn't know Diptrace could do this. Nice feature.

Thanks Alex. Good to know this is on the horizon. It will be a handy feature.

Great to see the Diptrace team continuing to develop and support the product. Good work!!!

Regards
Brad