Want to make new part from existing part, change the pattern

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Digital Larry

Want to make new part from existing part, change the pattern

#1 Post by Digital Larry » 02 Apr 2017, 11:46

The full issue is:

I have some existing schematic symbols but they don't have the right pattern. I can edit a pattern OK but having trouble taking the right steps. I've already started my schematic and layout and so I'd prefer to change them in place rather than starting a new component. I've tried following some of the tutorials but I'm afraid I keep running into dead ends. Is there any step by step for this specific case?

Ideally, I would like to be able to save the resulting library on a network location, as well as the other design files, so I can access it either from my laptop or my desktop PC.

Thanks!

DL

Serg
Technical Support

Re: Want to make new part from existing part, change the pat

#2 Post by Serg » 03 Apr 2017, 01:21

1) Open your design in Schematics,
2) Switch the current Library Group to Projects Libraries (left side of program window - Library Panel),
3) Select "Design Cache" Library,
4) Open the menu from Library Panel - Library Tools - Save Design Cache as Library.
After that you can open ".eli" file in Component Editor and can edit the components.

Digital Larry

#3 Post by Digital Larry » 03 Apr 2017, 11:25

OK, I'm still confused. Sure it's my fault, but anyway.

I started with the audio jack component.

The schematic component pattern is fine but I need to create/modify the PCB pattern. So I went in to change the attached pattern, as shown in jack-01.png. I picked a through hole pattern to replace the existing SMT pattern. (jack-01.png)

Then I need to edit this PCB pattern. It's the correct approach (through hole) but dimensions need to be adjusted.

Then I want this component to be something I can pick out of a library.

I did as you suggested to export the Design Cache to a library, and got the jack part I'd originally placed in my schematic. The PCB pattern is as it was in the original part (jack-02.png).

So, I'm obviously going about this the wrong way.
Attachments
Jack-02.PNG
Jack-02.PNG (12.99 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Jack-01.PNG
Jack-01.PNG (13.03 KiB) Viewed 851 times

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 03 Apr 2017, 13:17

Before doing anything else, read these two threads...
1) Setting up libraries - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10937
2) Forward propagation - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11277
Now try using one or more of the following procedures that apply to your situation...

Pattern Editor - modifying a standard pattern
To modify a standard DipTrace pattern, copy it to a custom pattern library, modify it there, resave the custom pattern library and then use the modified custom pattern. To create the modified custom pattern...
1) In the Select Pattern window on the left side of the Pattern Editor, click on the Current Library Group selection box and choose the User Patterns group in the fly-out menu.
2) Now either select the desired custom pattern library in the library list just below the Current Library Group selection box, or create a new one using the Library Tools box just below the library list.
3) Click on the Pattern Tools box just below the Library Tools box and choose Insert Patterns from Another Library... in the fly-out menu.
4) In the Insert Patterns dialog window under "Libraries", select Patterns in the drop-down list, select/highlight the standard DipTrace library that contains the desired pattern, select/highlight the desired pattern in the list under "Patterns" and click on the [Insert] button.
5) The inserted pattern should now be displayed in the Design Area and listed in the pattern list in the Select Pattern window.
6) Make the necessary changes to the pattern.
7) Resave the custom library (Ctrl + S).

Component Editor - modifying a standard component
To modify a standard DipTrace component, copy it to a custom component library, modify it there, resave the custom component library and then use the modified custom component. To create the modified custom component...
1) In the Select Component window on the left side of the Component Editor, click on the Current Library Group selection box and choose the User Components group in the fly-out menu.
2) Now either select the desired custom component library in the library list just below the Current Library Group selection box, or create a new one using the Library Tools box just below the library list.
3) Click on the Component Tools box just below the Library Tools box and choose Insert Components from Another Library... in the fly-out menu.
4) In the Insert Components dialog window under "Libraries", select Components in the drop-down list, select/highlight the standard DipTrace library that contains the desired component, select/highlight the desired component in the list under "Components" and click on the [Insert] button.
5) The inserted component should now be displayed in the Design Area and listed in the component list in the Select Pattern window.
6) Make the necessary changes to the component.
7) Resave the custom library (Ctrl + S).

Attaching a custom pattern to a custom component
1) Launch the Component Editor and select the User Components library group.
2) Click on the appropriate component library name to display its list of components.
3) Select the desired component. The component should now be displayed in the Design Area.
4) In the Component Properties dialog box, click on the [Pattern...] button to bring up the Attached Pattern dialog window. In the Attached Pattern dialog window, the component should already be selected/highlighted in the list on the left side. If not, click on it to select/highlight it.
5) On the right side of the Attached Pattern dialog window, go to the Pattern Libraries drop-down list and select User Patterns.
6) In the User Patterns library list, select the name of the pattern library that wiil be the source of the component's pattern.
7) To attach a pattern to the component, simply click once on the desired pattern name.
8) Connect the component's pins to the pattern's pads (if they are not already connected) by either dragging wires between them or using the Pin to Pad Table.
9) Click on OK.
10) Optional: Sometimes DipTrace does not detect the changes that have been made so, as a precaution, click once more on the already-selected/highlighted component name in the Component Editor window before saving.
11) Resave the component library (Ctrl + S).

You should now be able to find the new component along with its attached pattern after selecting the appropriate library in the User Components library group. If you want to use the new pattern by itself (no associated component), you should now be able to find it after selecting the appropriate library in the User Patterns library group.
Tom

Digital Larry

#5 Post by Digital Larry » 04 Apr 2017, 03:30

Thanks, I will go through this carefully. At least I don't feel so stupid now - it's pretty complicated!

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 04 Apr 2017, 04:26

Don't worry, it's not as complicated as my long-winded explanation makes it look. I'm just trying to provide as much detail as possible to help guide you through the process which, believe it or not, will become second nature to you in no time at all. Let me know if you find any errors in the instructions and I'll correct them as soon as I can.
Tom

Digital Larry

#7 Post by Digital Larry » 10 Apr 2017, 17:42

Just wanted to let you know that I'm making progress. Going in multiple passes. Tweak patttern. Edit the schematic. Update the PCB. Double check the pattern. Find an actual part to order. Repeat until done.

Thanks,

DL

robertbaer

#8 Post by robertbaer » 12 Jul 2017, 18:07

I gave up trying to use the component editor, as it never shows anything to edit.

At times, i (somehow) was able to edit the component as seen in the PC layout view.
Original chosen component gets replaced with new, and original one then is gone.

If whatever scheme i used could be discovered and made reproducible, i would be a very happy camper, and PC layout would be easier and faster for all.

Tomg
Expert

#9 Post by Tomg » 12 Jul 2017, 22:36

Tom