Pads: position when moving

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
arco

Pads: position when moving

#1 Post by arco » 27 Mar 2017, 01:28

If I move a pad in pattern editor with the mouse, it's current position is nicely shown. (right below on screen)
But when moving with arrow keys (a much more precise way), the position is not shown, After every move you'll have to hover the mouse over the pad
to know where it is, very annoying. Is there a setting to change this?

Also: Is there a way to let pads 'snap' into the grid?
If I position a number of pads 'free-hand', you cannot get them to align neatly (they all have a slightly different offset)
You then have to open all properties to adjust the position. Lot of work...

farley

Re: Pads: position when moving

#2 Post by farley » 27 Mar 2017, 02:51

arco wrote:Also: Is there a way to let pads 'snap' into the grid?
If I position a number of pads 'free-hand', you cannot get them to align neatly (they all have a slightly different offset)
You then have to open all properties to adjust the position. Lot of work...
Right click on the pad and select "Snap to Grid" from the context menu.
It's also possible to select several pads at once (either window select or 'ctrl-select') and snap them to grid using the same command.

Additionally, when placing pads for a pattern it's helpful to define the grid with the component pin (pad) x-y spacing. Note that it is possible to have different X and Y values for your grid (View->Y Grid Size). This makes setting up symmetrical patterns fairly easy.

arco

Re: Pads: position when moving

#3 Post by arco » 27 Mar 2017, 05:22

Thanks!

I overlooked that option in the menu... ;)

[edit]
I just saw that the shown coordinates when moving a part with the mouse also aren't the actual coordiinates, but depend on where inside the component the
mouse cursor is at the moment of clicking it.
How do I show the 'real' position of a moving component? (the position referenced as the origin of the component)