hal_58

MacOS Direct3D issue

#1 Post by hal_58 » 18 Mar 2017, 23:56

Hi!
Here is my Mac:
Device: iMac11,2. Intel Core i3 @ 3,06 GHz 14Gb RAM macOS Sierra 10.12.3
ATI Radeon HD 4670 Memory: 256 MB 
Version: 3.3 ATI-10.2.12

I am trying Diptrace 3.0 30days demo edition, XQuartz X11 is installed and works.

The 3D view shows a window with garbage in Direct3D mode. In GDI mode, sometimes I have the same issue and sometimes the board appears but no 3D component. In OpenGL mode, 3D board appears with no 3D component and distort/flattened.

Thank you for any help!
Attachments
diptrace.jpg
diptrace.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Alex
Technical Support

Re: MacOS Direct3D issue

#2 Post by Alex » 20 Mar 2017, 00:36

Please reinstall DipTrace. If you have any problem at any step please let me know.
1. Make sure the system has xQuartz installed. Otherwise download and install the latest stable version of xQuartz, logout and login.
2. Remove folder //Users/macuserdip/DipTrace 3.0.0.2/ if it exists. Otherwise do nothing.
3. Move DipTrace 3.0.0.2 from Applications to Trash. Do nothing if there is no DipTrace 3.0.0.2 in applications.
4. Open downloaded DMG file, drag DipTrace 3.0.0.2 from there to Applications.
5. Open Applications, find DipTrace 3.0.0.2 there and start the program.
6. The first start takes a while (more than usual). It shows Wine window during the first start informing about building the prefix then the window is closed and DipTrace is started.

We suggest to set Direct3D graphics mode for DipTrace on OSX Sierra. If you downloaded 3D models quite a while ago we suggest to download and unzip the latest 3D models.

hal_58

#3 Post by hal_58 » 20 Mar 2017, 08:45

Hi,
Thank you for the answer :-)
I have systematically used Direct3D. As I told in my previous message, XQuartz (last version) is well installed and works.
Before coming here, I have already done the steps you listed: No success, same problem.
Maybe the problem also came from some of my downloaded 3D models, maybe not because I have 3D view problems even I uncheck the Components checkbox, but what is certain is that if I test Diptrace 3.0 on a PC under MS-Windows (in any graphic mode) , using the same 3D models, I have no problem with the 3D view: it works great.
So the problem comes from Mac version of Diptrace.

By advance, thank you for any help.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 21 Mar 2017, 03:07

Hi,

Could you try 3D preview of PC board without 3D models? Does it work correctly?
Could you right click on a component that has 3D model and open 3D preview, is it displaying correctly?
Please make sure 3D model files are within Wine preffix. It is better to have 3D model files in //Users/macuserdip/DipTrace 3.0.0.2/ folder. Do you use custom 3D models, if so please send them to DipTrace support or share on the forum.

hal_58

#5 Post by hal_58 » 21 Mar 2017, 08:33

Hello,

When I try 3D preview of PC board without 3D models, it often works but sometimes I get a blank grey or black screen in the preview area.
When I right click on a component that has 3D model and I open 3D preview, it displaying correctly.
All 3D model files are within Wine preffix, all of them has been dowloaded on http://www.3dcontentcentral.com and left intact (no modification on them)
The 3D model files are in the right folder.

Do you planed to developp a real MacOS software? I am starting to have some doubts about this Wine solution, definitely a makeshift job. I hope you'll accept my frankness.

Thank you again for the time you spend to find a solution.

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 22 Mar 2017, 03:09

Blank grey background in 3D preview can be if your design doesn't have board outline. Users sometimes create board cutout instead board outline.
If you use custom 3D models (non DipTrace standard models) and have problems with 3D preview please send these 3D models for verification.

We plan to develop native version for Mac OSX but it is long process.

hal_58

#7 Post by hal_58 » 23 Mar 2017, 09:30

Hello,

My board is well done, with outline. I'm not a newbie :) I have no problem with it under MS-Windows Diptrace version, the 3D models that I use all work under MS-Windows Diptrace too. And when I use the same files with your "MacOS version", it sometimes (rarely) works, but most of the time it doesn't (see the screeshot). And when it works, if I change the size of the window, the 3D view is distroyed as you see on my screenshot too. Conclusion: You've made a mistake somewhere or you missed something in your MacOS solution.
I think that you should stop a while to point on the 3D models that I use and you should take account about an assumption of a problem between Direct3D and Wine. It would not be the first time that there is the problem with it for many PC software used with Wine (or CrossOver).

Sorry to tell you but I think that your Mac version based on Wine is a poor man's developpement solution. Unless, you can give me a solution, next week I'll talk with my boss to think about another EDA solution for the Mac computers of our company.
And I am disappointed because Diptrace for MS-Windows is a great software.

But we'll keep an eye about your future and real MacOS version.