DipTrace 3.1 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: DipTrace 3.1 beta

#11 Post by novarm44 » 14 Mar 2017, 20:06

fdemir wrote:Hi Stas
I want to ask some features requests.
I have placed your list to the code for filter upgrading, so will see it when upgrade filter. BTW library index is in our to-do.
I can not promise I will make all requests though, as we receive thousands of them and support team is responsible for reporting the most requested ones to me.

jean_howard

#12 Post by jean_howard » 14 Mar 2017, 23:35

Thanks for sharing novarm44. I would love to use it for my next diptrace schamatic.

juhaszzs

#13 Post by juhaszzs » 15 Mar 2017, 06:30

Thanks this excellent work. I love DipTrace.

Two-way selection would be nice between schematic and pcb designer.

timb.us

#14 Post by timb.us » 16 Mar 2017, 07:53

Still no support for net ties? Come on guys, this is like a basic feature that people have been requesting for years!

Do you know how hard it is to bodge together multiple nets without a system for net ties? I use high speed design stuff rarely, but I quite often need to tie nets together. For example, say I've got a board that has a wireless module on it. I want a copper pour (call it rf_gnd) with specific clearances for gnd around the antenna, but ultimately said copper pour can be connected to the main VSS pour (that has different clearances) around the edges.

Or, say I've got a board with an analog and digital ground on it. I want to be able to easily connect these two copper pours together at some point. Currently, the only way to do this is to create a special symbol and footprint, consisting of two small pads that are back to back. The problem with this method is now I can only hook my two pours together on the top or bottom of the board, since I can't place patterns on inner layers.

So, ideally pours would have a new option called "Connect to tied pours of lower priority" that would help with my first example (the RF layout). And for the second example (analog and digital grounds) I'd have the ability to bridge pours with tied nets by drawing a trace between them. That is, they wouldn't automatically connect, they'd still be separate pours as they are now, I'd just have the ability to draw a trace between the two pours and assign it to the tied net, if that makes sense.

Seriously. We need net ties!

timbak

#15 Post by timbak » 19 Mar 2017, 03:08

Please make Meander tool working with single traces. It very helpful for manual length matching high-speed buses. Thanks!

KevinA

#16 Post by KevinA » 19 Mar 2017, 06:59

Downloaded and 'Installed':
The program allowed me to install in DipTrace31 and I created a /Documents/DipTrace31 for the new 3D data but when I ran the installer for the 3D Data it also created new Start menu items pointing to the wrong directory, during install I couldn't change this and why is the installer for the 3D Data creating any start menu items?
Thanks, I also upgraded to the next version of DipTrace to show my support!

mgriebling

#17 Post by mgriebling » 21 Mar 2017, 09:37

i'd like to review the beta version but would need to see the Mac version.

jeremyh

#18 Post by jeremyh » 04 May 2017, 18:22

Is it possible to now length match more than a diff pair? For example, length matching an 8 bit bus?

KevinA

#19 Post by KevinA » 05 May 2017, 01:14

KevinA wrote:Downloaded and 'Installed':
The program allowed me to install in DipTrace31 and I created a /Documents/DipTrace31 for the new 3D data but when I ran the installer for the 3D Data it also created new Start menu items pointing to the wrong directory, during install I couldn't change this and why is the installer for the 3D Data creating any start menu items?
Thanks, I also upgraded to the next version of DipTrace to show my support!
Update: I had a chance to use diptrace31 this morning. When I tried to View 3D it couldn't find the 3D parts, Tools/3D Preview/Patterns and Models Search... displayed the issue: C:\Program Files\DipTrace31\models3d and C:\Program Files (x86)\DipTrace31\models3d neither directory exist on my computer since I installed the 3D files in an area where my user can write C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\models3d
After I deleted the existing paths and added the correct one it works extremely well.

I did notice that DipTrace is not using C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Roaming for any storage and that the Lib, Utils, Examples are in my C:\Program Files\DipTrace31 directory, which is read only. When I tried to move the Library to C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\Lib I can't edit it's location in Library Setup, both Components and Patterns are set to C:\Program Files\Diptrace31\Lib
If you're going to start update dating Lib and models3d can you move them to the user data or appdata? We have to backup stuff and it is easier if changing data for an application is in one location.
When you update if I add a directory and files like C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\models3d\my3D\ns.step will it still exist?
I was going to flag the directory C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\Lib as Read Only but since I can't change the setup..... Besides it would screw up your update

Tomg
Expert

#20 Post by Tomg » 05 May 2017, 01:26

jeremyh wrote:"...Is it possible to now length match more than a diff pair?..."
From what I can see, yes. To date it looks like you can set up length matching rules for multi-net buses in Beta 3.1, but phase-tuning by adding meanders is limited to differential pairs, only. To length-match a bus it appears you will have to manually modify a small section of an offending trace (make your own meander) while observing the displayed length numbers and DRC error flags.

It makes me nervous to see no [Apply] or [OK] button. Clicking on the [X] in the upper-right corner of the Length Matching dialog window after setting everything up makes me worry that my settings will be ignored by the Design Rule Check.
Attachments
length.gif
length.gif (32.89 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Last edited by Tomg on 05 May 2017, 02:33, edited 3 times in total.
Tom