Pick and Place Help

Preparing layout for manufacturing, Requirements, Verifications. PCB manufacturing process. Feedback about manufacturers.
KevinA

Pick and Place Help

#1 Post by KevinA » 29 Jul 2016, 05:57

I'm trying figure out where the rotate value comes from in the Pick and Place Report. Where does the report get the overall height of the device? Is there a place for the over all height of the device in the reel or is this up to the vendor?
How about a tutorial for setting up the Pick and Place Report with an 'simple' example, I'm using the arm.dip example, something simpler with a MCU, USB, caps and resistors.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Pick and Place Help

#2 Post by Tomg » 29 Jul 2016, 07:17

KevinA wrote:"...I'm trying figure out where the rotate value comes from in the Pick and Place Report..."
The rotational value is derived from the initial position of the pattern as created in the Pattern Editor. Positive rotation (degrees) is in the counterclockwise direction about the pattern's origin.
KevinA wrote:"...Where does the report get the overall height of the device?..."
Just a guess here, but "Height" seems to be the maximum vertical length (Y-axis) of the entire pattern. For example, I loaded DipTrace's DIP-14 pattern into a blank PCB and generated a pick-and-place table. The "Height" value displayed in the pick-and-place table was 19.6 mm, matching the maximum vertical dimension of the pattern; in this case, the silkscreen's overall length on the Y-axis. Could be wrong, though.

Here is some information on component standards, which includes the industry's take on the "zero-rotation" starting point - https://blogs.mentor.com/tom-hausherr/b ... standards/

The first illustration shows how to locate the pick-and-place section of the Help file.

Just for fun, I removed the silkscreen from the pattern, imported it into the PCB and generated another pick-and-place table. Notice the maximum dimensions have changed accordingly in the second illustration. Also notice that the Reference Designator does not figure into the Height and Width measurements.
Attachments
pap.gif
pap.gif (45.1 KiB) Viewed 574 times
WxH.gif
WxH.gif (21.89 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Tom

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 29 Jul 2016, 09:14

I visited Mentor and the zero-rotation answered the questions but I also didn't find any standard notation of what standard DipTace is using in their export. The Clockwise thing is big, without that knowledge rotation is meaningless.
I did find the Pick & Place stuff (search) in help and will play with it now that I know what they are doing but I'd like to find out more about the values they are using or why 'D' added to a value.

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 29 Jul 2016, 09:29

KevinA wrote:"...didn't find any standard notation of what standard DipTace is using in their export..."
If you are wondering about export file formats, it looks like there are two choices: *.csv (Comma Separated Values) and *.txt. Excel should be able to pull in the *.csv files if you want to take a look at them.
Tom

KevinA

#5 Post by KevinA » 29 Jul 2016, 11:46

Tomg wrote:
KevinA wrote:"...didn't find any standard notation of what standard DipTace is using in their export..."
If you are wondering about export file formats, it looks like there are two choices: *.csv (Comma Separated Values) and *.txt. Excel should be able to pull in the *.csv files if you want to take a look at them.
Got them, I use UltraStudio to edit 'things', the standard notion I was looking for was IPC-7351 Level A or IEC 61188-7 Level B notation which says how the package is represented in the drawing.

After reading this again I noticed the Counterclockwise in your post, I could have sworn it was Clockwise, checking Mentor it is Counterclockwise! I do believe I'm losing it or all the smoke in the air (1/4 mile visibility) this morning stopped my brain cells.

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 29 Jul 2016, 12:57

KevinA wrote:"...the standard notion I was looking for was IPC-7351 Level A or IEC 61188-7 Level B notation which says how the package is represented in the drawing..."
In another thread (http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11037), a question was asked about SOT363 footprints. A reply from Alex seemed to imply that DipTrace takes a middle-ground approach for its footprints and has filled their stock libraries with Density Level B patterns (https://blogs.mentor.com/tom-hausherr/b ... y-part-12/). This is just a guess on my part. To eliminate all doubt, it would be nice to have an official DipTrace proclamation about which density level they have adopted.
KevinA wrote:"...After reading this again I noticed the Counterclockwise in your post, I could have sworn it was Clockwise, checking Mentor it is Counterclockwise! I do believe I'm losing it or all the smoke in the air (1/4 mile visibility) this morning stopped my brain cells..."
Yeah, I noticed that and was wondering if I should have said something, but I figured it was just a typo.

By the way, I wish I knew the purpose of that extra "+D". All it does is add padding to the associated measurement. Maybe something to do with a courtyard type buffer? I don't know.

p.s. Smoke? Are you near one of those wildfire areas? If so, I hope you are located a safe distance away from all of the "excitement". Stay safe.
Tom

KevinA

#7 Post by KevinA » 30 Jul 2016, 14:03

DLB (Density Level B) makes sense, I have been reducing lands on Diptrace parts to make DLC or HDI specs. I downloaded all of Tom's 'stuff' months ago, I guess I better read it!

I'm glad I'm not on the clock with my project, this is a long learning curve.

The fires appears to be north east of Boise, ID. about 150 miles from me: http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/data/ac ... 2_1700.pdf (2.5mb) We have a front moving thru which means lighting and more fires out here (North Western Utah). I have a fire break around my lot, my grader ready to go and I have a 300 gallon tote on a trailer with a gas pump.