Do Not Panelize bug

Report bugs here
matttay

Do Not Panelize bug

#1 Post by matttay » 24 Oct 2015, 08:16

Hi, when creating a panel array, it's common to require the panel to have its own set of fiducials.

So, I create normal PCB design, then opt to panelize. And then I add 3 fiducials from my library to the PCB and place in the corners of the panel. I then select these 3 fiducials to be "do not panelize".

Then I check with schematic, and as expected I get error indicating the fiducials aren't part of the schematic. That is expected, so far, so good.

Then I export and when I look at the gerbers, the fiducials ARE in fact panelized. They go way off the far edge of the board.

This causes a problem for the board house, because they think there's a problem because there are features hanging off on in the air, and this causes a problem for the assembly house because there are a lot more fiducials on the panel than expected.

Summary: Do not panelize works for other features (dims, text notes, etc) but does NOT seem to work for added PCB elements. This is a bug because the UI gave me an option NOT to panelize and yet it still does panelize.

Question: What is the correct way to add fiducials to panels so that they are not replicated?

Techno Tronix

Re: Do Not Panelize bug

#2 Post by Techno Tronix » 25 Oct 2015, 19:51

Fiducials are reference points for the pick and place machine. They should be clearly isolated from anything else on the board (including silkscreen). You typically add 3 or 4 of them near the corners of the PCB

kimsmith

#3 Post by kimsmith » 25 Oct 2015, 19:57

Normally a PCB will have 3 global fiducials per side (top & bottom), and usually in the corners of the PCB. This is so it can recognize the boards overall orientation and position.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 26 Oct 2015, 03:12

You added fiducials to panel correctly. "Do not panelize" option should work for them. Could you send the board file to support at diptrace dot com for verification?

gmutch

#5 Post by gmutch » 25 Apr 2016, 23:54

Was this still an issue in Version 2.9.0.1 beta? I've just had a similar issue and I'm not sure if it is how I'm using the software or an actual bug.

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 27 Apr 2016, 02:12

I can't verify this issue in version 2.9.0.1 beta. But version 3.0.0.1 works correctly. It doesn't multiply fiducials if they have "Do not panelize" option.

gmutch

#7 Post by gmutch » 26 Jun 2016, 23:27

I have concluded that the bug is still present. We upgraded from 2.9.0.1 beta to 3.0.0.2 (June 14, 2016). In order to create the issue design a schematic and push it to the pcb, then:

1. Complete the PCB and panelise.
2. Place a component on the PCB from the PCB layout, not through the schematic.
3. Right click on the component and select "Do Not Panelize".
4. Generate Gerbers
5. View Gerbers in a gerber viewer such as GerbV
6. Marvel at your panelisation (containing unwanted panelised part)

Please let me know if you require any additional information. I'm going to add the fiducials to my schematic for now and then set do not panelise once on the PCB that way instead of adding it after the fact.

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 29 Jun 2016, 19:39

"Do Not Panelize" option works correctly in the latest version 3.0.0.2. If it does not please send an example to support at diptrace dot com.

gmutch

#9 Post by gmutch » 10 Jul 2016, 20:52

Hi Alex,

Next time I panelise a design I'll keep a copy if I have the issue again, I'll then forward it through to support. I changed the way in which I included the fiducials as stated previously, so I would have to re-edit my design if I were to re-create the error.