Exporting oval pads for OSHpark order

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
Tuxedo3

Exporting oval pads for OSHpark order

#1 Post by Tuxedo3 » 03 May 2016, 14:48

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I've made a few orders through OSHpark that have gone super well, but i'm working on a 3PDT Switch Breakout board and for some reason my gerber file is not including the oval pads I made for the 3PDT switch, like http://www.taydaelectronics.com/3pdt-st ... witch.html Are there specific settings that are needed to output them in the gerber file? (which is actually being converted to a .xln) Thanks and I will be glad to post any pictures if that will help.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Exporting oval pads for OSHpark order

#2 Post by Tomg » 04 May 2016, 01:33

Tuxedo3 wrote:"...my gerber file is not including the oval pads I made for the 3PDT switch..."
Is "Pads" enabled for both the Top and Bottom layers in the Export Gerber dialog window?
Last edited by Tomg on 04 May 2016, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Tuxedo3

#3 Post by Tuxedo3 » 04 May 2016, 02:21

Yes, "Pads" is selected for both Top and Bottom. I actually see that I didn't explain it correctly. I'm exporting a separate OrCAD TAP Drill file and converting that into a .xln file, not gerber. The first picture is the export dialogue and for some reason the "Milling (Oval Holes)" is grayed out. The second picture is the board, and the last one is the "preview" of the OrCAD TAP Drill. As you can see those oval holes don't show up.
Attachments
Picture of the dialogue
Picture of the dialogue
help3.PNG (17.74 KiB) Viewed 335 times
help.PNG
help.PNG (28.45 KiB) Viewed 335 times
heklp2.PNG
heklp2.PNG (2.33 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 04 May 2016, 04:31

I don't know anything about the OrCAD *.tap drill file format. This is either a sign that this format doesn't do slots, or Alex needs to be made aware of a possible oversight. He may not scan this forum very often, so it might be prudent to ask why that box is grayed-out in the Bugs reports forum. In the meantime, is it possible to convert an NC drill file into a *.xln file?

I wonder if the DipTrace *.tap file translator is based on an older version of OrCAD. Some related reading can be found here - http://www.edaboard.com/thread200619.html
Tom

Tuxedo3

#5 Post by Tuxedo3 » 04 May 2016, 17:17

Thanks for that link, it was pretty helpful. I don't think it's a bug, but I suppose it could be. It's looking more and more like OrCAD just doesn't do oval holes.

Techno Tronix

#6 Post by Techno Tronix » 12 Jun 2016, 19:07

OSHPark seems to use 'libgerbv' to render the preview images on their website. As of now this software doesn't support oval drill holes, they get displayed as off-centered round holes.