Post subject: Editing multiple parts simultaneously
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 15:07 

How do you edit multiple parts in a schematic simultaneously? For example: 10 capacitors all change to the same part; how do I display properties for all at once, so I can easily change their data without needing to select each one individually?

In OrCAD you select as many as you want, right click to choose Edit Properties, and all of their data appears in a table. You can easily copy field data from one column to any other. Surely there must be some way of doing something similar in DipTrace.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Editing multiple parts simultaneously
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 08:33 

Just hold Ctrl and click on(select) each part you want to edit, then hold the mouse on one of the parts and right click, make the changes you want, click ok and your done.

If you wanted to say change your component footprint, say 0805 to 0603(or whatever) then right click on one part, select replace part, then at the bottom "apply to" similar name component and they will all be changed to the new selection.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 12:57 

I tried this, but the only part that changed was the one I actually right-clicked on. I'm trying to change the PN, Manufacturer, and possibly Datasheet for several components at once. In the Components Properties window there isn't an option to "Apply To: [Selected Components]", like there is for traces.

Changing the footprint patterns allows changing multiple parts, but that doesn't address the Component Properties. I was hoping that there was a way to pull up properties of any/all components, and easily change them at the same time (like in OrCAD).

Thanks, MDman - I appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 07:11 

Ok, here's a way to do it.
If you don't have a custom library for schematic components, make one and have it selected. Or select save to file when prompted.
Right click the component and from the menu select > save to library > add to active
Them open the component editor and select your custom library and component. Make the changes to the component, eg datasheet, value etc, save it. Back to schematic and select the components to be changed, right click and select replace part, select user components and find your library, select the updated component and down the bottom select apply to selected components or similar parts(if your game!! :D).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 11:11 

I'll give this a try. I do the bulk of the design in OrCAD, and then import the EDIF into DipTrace to create the PCB layout. The EDIF never imports perfectly, requiring many changes to get everything correct. It's funny that both pieces of software have their strong, and weak points - and DT's PCB layout editor is pretty slick.

Thanks, again -

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 03:28 

Check the upper left corner of the schematic editor "Place all parts"
That will help you to edit multiple parts simultaneously.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 11:42 

Hi Techno - I do not see a "Place all parts" anywhere on the schematic editor; pull down menus; or icons.