Post subject: Re: DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 17:52 

dtu2 wrote:
Ummm... not that I really give a flip what OS you use, but a quick search found this:

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-an ... -gnulinux/

And, yes, I found this with a Google search which, according to this article, runs on...

Anyone... ??

The proposition I advanced and questions I asked are

Does Novarm have any plans to develop a version that runs native on a LINUX Platform ?

As LINUX comes in a number of different versions I would like to find out if NOVRAM has any plans to do this, and if so what version or versions of LINUX will they focus on developing Dip Trace ?

I have no intention of turning this thread into a "what's your favorite flavor of LINUX" thread.

I simply stated that based upon what I read about Windows 10 and the communications I have with associates that are knowledgeable on the matter and trustworthy tell me the invasive nature of Windows 10 is excessive. Microsoft has always been arrogant with the way it has dealt with its personal user clients especially when it came to their expectation. I have witnessed myself Senior Staff at Microsoft and Professional Consultants who maintain relationships with Microsoft making public statements that their client's expectations are unrealistic. They should accept such intrusions and deal with it. Windows 7 wasn't exactly a bargain in this respect either but people did come accept it. The question now is whether Microsoft has pushed their luck too far. In my case the answer is yes, and others that I speak with concur. Right now I am looking at what version of LINUX I should install on my machine as part of a Dual Boot System. If NOVRAM can furnish any information in this regard it would be helpful in my decision. It does not necessarily have to be a Free Distribution Version.

I do intend to ride out Windows 7 to the bitter end so there is no immediate need for a LINUX version of Dip Trace just some information about NOVRAM's policy on the matter.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 08:02 
Technical Support

We plan to develop native version for Mac OS X someday. We have switched to development tool that allows to create cross-platform applications but there is alot of work ahead. Native Linux version is not in our plans but we may reconsider this question after developing Mac OS X version.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 04:59 

What amazes me is that people out there are so misinformed and ignorant over the current raft of operating systems. Those who hammer Microsoft are typically Linux abusers who are fed with so much misinformation from their community that they don't even bother getting their facts straight before launching their vitriolic rantings or Apple fanbois who can't handle more than one mouse button; have a read of your EULA before throwing stones. Microsoft are no better or worse than Apple, Google, Amazon or {insert any big name here} who all gather user data and peddle it to third parties willy-nilly; to single any one out in particular for hand-slapping and trolling is as ridiculous as it is tedious.

How many people do you think work in the Novarm office, and how many coding Diptrace? I'd guess 5 give or take one or two. Anybody who has an ounce of knowledge of application development will know that you can't just port any given app to another platform with a few lines of code in an afternoon's work. It takes years to develop software at this level and even with a top-gun team of code cutters it is an enormous task to alpha, beta, pre-release, release and maintain (read: bug fix) an app like Diptrace. To even imagine they could afford the time to completely code from scratch a version for an OS that 5% of computer users use is pipe-dreaming, and the same goes for MacOS as well. People are in the software business to make money, and that means coding for the masses regardless of what the fringe few think about it and by all means bemoan the lack of support for your OS, you must have known when you chose to take it on board that there isn't the same commercial support for it in every respect that Windows (or MacOS on it's level) has from software and hardware developers. You can't move next to the airport then bitch about the noise of jet engines, or get a job driving buses and moan about having to sit down all day; the fact is that Novarm haven't the resources to code for every platform. I imagine they have enough stresses trying to get the next sprint out the door.

I for one and happy with the software and what I want as far as improvements (in my opinion) are way down on the list others want so I'll take my time and keep using it for what I use it for. I am always free to go and use something else.

Sorry for the rant

Dave.

Dave.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 11:21 

davenz wrote:
What amazes me is that people out there are so misinformed and ignorant over the current raft of operating systems. Those who hammer Microsoft are typically Linux abusers who are fed with so much misinformation from their community that they don't even bother getting their facts straight before launching their vitriolic rantings or Apple fanbois who can't handle more than one mouse button; have a read of your EULA before throwing stones. Microsoft are no better or worse than Apple, Google, Amazon or {insert any big name here} who all gather user data and peddle it to third parties willy-nilly; to single any one out in particular for hand-slapping and trolling is as ridiculous as it is tedious.

Then again there are others of us who are too lazy to follow the news. Specifically the news that over the weekend of Sept 13th Microsoft dumped 6 GB of Windows 10 Snoopware into Windows 7 Computers without the knowledge of their owners. This was done through the Automatic Security Update feature. Or should I say INSecurity Update Feature.

Hiding behind the ploy that "everybody else does it" is nothing more than a lame excuse to justify the behavior. Dealing with Microsoft is like dealing with a 3 Card Monty Player on 42nd Street. The essence of his scam is to make you think you have a chance at winning when the only way to win is to disengage. That is why long time dedicated Windows users are now serious about seeking an alternative to Microsoft.

I would hope that Novram takes note of this development when mapping out the future plans for Dip Trace. Even if it takes significant resources a version that runs native on an OS that guarantees security may well be worth the expenditure of resources. Right now all I am looking for is some guidance on what future Operating Systems to investigate.

For those that want proof here is one tidbit in a vast sea of news coverage. http://www.infoworld.com/article/298377 ... 81-pc.html

Another point to consider. The size of the download per computer is 6 to 10 Gigabyte now stop to consider the average personal user has down capacity of 10 to 25 Mbps. That would take somewhere between 5 to 20 minutes of continuous bandwidth space PER DOWNLOAD. Now multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of downloads Microsoft initiated and one can see the shear size of the economic ripoff so Microsoft can snoop on us ! I wonder how the ISPs feel about this ?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 17:02 

As a Mac User predominately now with some Windows emulation, I really would appreciate a native Mac version sooner rather than later.
I doubt we will upgrade to the V3.0 release as we don't care about the high-speed and other enhancements. But, once a Mac version is available, the upgrade is ensured. ;-0

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 04:58 

As an active Linux user I say... With Wine diptrace works well (mostly). At the same time, there are so many usability features missing that it's not worth spreading the efforts on porting. It will just not pay back. I'd prefer diptrace to have normal search or 10x bigger components database (I have to draw most of ICs) rather than native support. Just keep it working under wine.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 14:29 

novarm44 wrote:
The next version will be 3.0.
The price for commercial Extended, Full and probably Standard Editions will be raised a bit due to high-speed capabilities.
If you ordered/upgraded 1.x or 2.x before May 1, 2015 - upgrade will cost 25% of the full price, after May 1, 2015 - the uprade will be free.
So if you order 2.4 after May 1, 2015 and before release of 3.0, the price of 3.x for you will be the same as 2.x.

Under that pricing scheme if you raise the cost of the Extended Version from 595 dollars for rev 2.4 to 695 dollars for rev 3.0 a current user with rev 2.4 will have to pay 173 dollars to upgrade. The total outlay for the two Revisions that user purchased is 868 dollars while a New User purchases the same license for 695 dollars. That doesn't seem like a very good way to reward loyalty. On the other hand Novram has a simple and clear policy when a User wants to upgrade to a higher version. They simply pay the difference between the two Version. Why can't Novram institute the same policy when a User wants to update to a later Revision ? This policy would also address the issue of a User that purchases a license late in the product cycle. They are simply paying the additional cost to add new features.

Novram should set the prices for the new revisions that reflect the additional cost of development and if that means a higher base price then they should do that. But to charge a customer a premium price for being an existing user seems unfair.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 10:30 
Technical Support

We do not charge maintenance fee even though we have provided free updates for version 2 during several years. That's why we change 25% of license price for the next major update.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 03:12 

I just download the Beta & Freeware file and it saying this: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\SETUP_36983\00001#CompEdit.exe
File not found!
I just look in this folder and the file missing?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 03:21 

Is OK I re-download from here: http://diptrace.com/download-diptrace/
All OK now, the download links on page 1 which cause this problem!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next