DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
MisterBiscuit

Re: DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

#21 Post by MisterBiscuit » 22 Aug 2015, 01:09

I see in the 2.9 beta that the Wine compatibility issues do not appear to have been addressed. The "Title and Sheet Setup" dialog can still cause the program to hang and other dialog controls (such as the library filter dialog dropdowns) don't properly process mouse input all of the time.

Is there any intent to address these issues in this next major release?

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#22 Post by novarm44 » 23 Aug 2015, 02:23

MisterBiscuit wrote:I see in the 2.9 beta that the Wine compatibility issues do not appear to have been addressed. The "Title and Sheet Setup" dialog can still cause the program to hang and other dialog controls (such as the library filter dialog dropdowns) don't properly process mouse input all of the time.

We were unable to find the reason of this problem yet. Will try to do that until major release. Probably wine update will also fix this.

letrich

#23 Post by letrich » 23 Aug 2015, 06:28

New beta is pretty nice!
But what i still missed in schematics:
1. I can't change truetype font for pin numbers and bus connections.
2. Also it would be nice to change font type to italic or bold
3. It would be nice to load/save Tile blocks from/to external fil

radioman

#24 Post by radioman » 23 Aug 2015, 20:28

novarm44 wrote:
MisterBiscuit wrote:I see in the 2.9 beta that the Wine compatibility issues do not appear to have been addressed. The "Title and Sheet Setup" dialog can still cause the program to hang and other dialog controls (such as the library filter dialog dropdowns) don't properly process mouse input all of the time.

We were unable to find the reason of this problem yet. Will try to do that until major release. Probably wine update will also fix this.

As a request I would like for NOVRAM to start looking long termatn this matter. That is writing code so that Dip Trace runs native on a LINUX OS. I say this because as Windows 10 has recently been released the invasive nature of this OS has become readily apparent. I was predisposed to dropping Windows when I loaded Windows 7 five years ago. Seeing this unwelcome development reaffirmed my decision. Come 2020 when Microsoft's support for Windows 7 ends I'm done with Windows. I don't even want to emulate it !

The first question that has to be addressed is what flavor of UNIX will Dip Trace be written for and what platforms it will run on. Right now I'm wondering if NOVRAM has a policy on this matter. If we could get some answers by the start of the 3rd Quarter of 2017 that would be most helpful. It doesn't have to be a hard release date just a firm commitment say that NOVRAM is working on a version that will run on, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, SUSE or what ever. With that information we can at least configure our boot drives with a Dual Boot configuration that will include a version of DIP Trace we can migrate to quickly.

Thanks for your time and attention

mpo1973

#25 Post by mpo1973 » 31 Aug 2015, 02:16

Как небыло выравнивания надписей (имена цепей, обозначения компонентов) так и нет - неужели это сложнее чем сделать поддержку диф.цепей?!((
Рамок по ГОСТу тоже не появилось, хотя когда то они были.... я понимаю, что у нас с Украиной теперь не самые дружественные отношения, но вроде бы инженеры должны быть вне политики...
Так же в разводчике - как выделялся разводимый сегмент красным - так и выделяется, что крайне неудобно (если у тебя есть другой слой тоже красный) - можно ли настроить этот цвет под себя?
Так же не появилось импорта из Altium.
Хотелось бы иметь в разводчике подписи проводников - тоже вроде об этом писали, но не появилось...
Не добавили индивидуальное изменение шрифта для маркировки компонентов на плате.

Вообщем как то не много изменений за год...

dongs

#26 Post by dongs » 31 Aug 2015, 23:52

radioman wrote:As a request I would like for NOVRAM to start looking long termatn this matter. That is writing code so that Dip Trace runs native on a LINUX OS. I say this because as Windows 10 has recently been released the invasive nature of this OS has become readily apparent. I was predisposed to dropping Windows when I loaded Windows 7 five years ago. Seeing this unwelcome development reaffirmed my decision. Come 2020 when Microsoft's support for Windows 7 ends I'm done with Windows. I don't even want to emulate it !

The first question that has to be addressed is what flavor of UNIX will Dip Trace be written for and what platforms it will run on. Right now I'm wondering if NOVRAM has a policy on this matter. If we could get some answers by the start of the 3rd Quarter of 2017 that would be most helpful. It doesn't have to be a hard release date just a firm commitment say that NOVRAM is working on a version that will run on, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, SUSE or what ever. With that information we can at least configure our boot drives with a Dual Boot configuration that will include a version of DIP Trace we can migrate to quickly.

Thanks for your time and attention
Sorry, but WHAT?
Windows is here to stay, regardless of whether YOU like it or not.
Making a "native lunix app" is a waste of time anyway, as the freetards will want it to be "free as in whatever", and you'll never be able to get any licensing fees from it.

For a company making commercial product, it just makes no sense. They should focus on the bugtracker and implementing stuff that actually makes sense, like proper (and not CHANGING WITH EVERY RELEASE) menu hotkeys, instead of worrying that 3 lunix users aren't able to run their shit, or that some loon thinks Windows 10 is invading his privacy or something.

Get back to the hole you crawled out of and continue dreaming that software publishers will some day pay attention to your garbage niche OS.

dtu2
Expert

#27 Post by dtu2 » 01 Sep 2015, 17:09

dongs wrote:
Get back to the hole you crawled out of and continue dreaming that software publishers will some day pay attention to your garbage niche OS.

Well, there goes the neighborhood...
Jeff

vanquish

#28 Post by vanquish » 02 Sep 2015, 03:08

RE: freerouting

The author of freerouting was being harassed by a company he used to work for regarding this project (which was a personal hobby, free to use). He retired a long time ago and felt the accusations were totally false, but companies have money and lawyers and he did not. So, basically to stop being hassled in his retirement he released the source code for freerouting and stopped maintaining it. He did try to reach out for support from the community, and even sent a letter to the Free Software Foundation and got a canned rejection letter back. But then Richard Stallman himself sent him a letter providing legal resources. Read the whole story here on the authors forum: http://www.freerouting.net/fen/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=272

I have the freerouting source up on github: https://github.com/Salient/Freerouter
There are several other copies of the source on github also.

The reason I suggest taking a really good look at freerouter is because between the shape based router in DipTrace and the router in freerouter, the latter *always* produces better results, and in most cases will find routing solutions where DipTrace gives up. Manual routing is fine, but when you start out with 2500 pins and no traces, it's nice to have an autorouter do the heavy lifting first. The push and shove routing is also a nice plus, especially when importing DRC rules, as you can push a trace up to another object and it will stop right at the rule limit. Saves a lot of time and wrist strain. I know this is a feature you guys will implement anyway.

Whether you use any of the code or not, the algorithms are definitely worth looking at. There is an optimizer that runs after the board is fully routed (either automatically or by hand) which works to remove vias and shorten total trace length. I've had boards where by optimizing the routing, I eliminated hundreds of vias (which in turn frees up more space for traces) and taken a foot off of total trace length.

-- 02 Sep 2015, 09:11 --
instead of worrying that 3 lunix users aren't able to run their shit, or that some loon thinks Windows 10 is invading his privacy or something.
Found the overcompensating closet Linux fanboi... ;)

radioman

#29 Post by radioman » 02 Sep 2015, 05:52

Keysight has designed ADS (Advanced Design System) to run on Red Hat Enterprise 5 and 6, SUSE SLES 10 and 11 as well as Windows Enterprise
dtu2 wrote:Well, there goes the neighborhood...
Don't you know ? This is the Internet of Things ! Intelligence and manners are optional.

dtu2
Expert

#30 Post by dtu2 » 02 Sep 2015, 16:55

Ummm... not that I really give a flip what OS you use, but a quick search found this:

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-and-devices-running-on-gnulinux/

And, yes, I found this with a Google search which, according to this article, runs on...

Anyone... ??
Jeff