DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
Tomg
Expert

Re: DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

#11 Post by Tomg » 17 Aug 2015, 07:31

The Beta will install in its own directory, but you need to play it safe. If you pull your old files into the Beta and then re-save them from there, they will no longer behave the same in v2.4. Before loading the Beta, backup your old projects and libraries to a safe location. Then make duplicates of the files you would like to use for testing the Beta. Store the duplicates somewhere in the Beta directory.

So far, my favorite feature in Beta v2.9 is the Hotkeys mapping. That sure saves a lot of mouse-clicks when set up properly. The basic (for now) Differential Pairs tool performs as advertised and it looks like the programming behind it might open the way for interactive routing in the future.
Last edited by Tomg on 19 Aug 2015, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

slowertech

#12 Post by slowertech » 17 Aug 2015, 08:17

I would be ecstatic if they added interactive routing & Teardrops.

Is there an estimated release date for 3.0?

Tomg
Expert

#13 Post by Tomg » 17 Aug 2015, 09:08

The unofficial rumor mill has some rumblings about October, but don't hold DipTrace to it. It's only wishful thinking on my part. DipTrace needs to complete and thoroughly test/debug the new Meander and Length Tuning features that are promised to be included in the final 3.0 release. That could be pushed out if they run into any unforeseen problems. And this doesn't account for the time needed to iron out any existing problems with the current Beta.
Last edited by Tomg on 19 Aug 2015, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

vanquish

#14 Post by vanquish » 19 Aug 2015, 05:44

Just wanted to give my thanks and congratulations to the diptrace team. I've been impatient for this release for quite a while, but that's a good thing! It shows I'm really looking forward to seeing what's new!

Like everybody here, there are some nitpicky quirks and annoyances with the software, but Diptrace is still the BEST pcb design and layout tool out there right now for 95% of applications, hands down. Even if it wasn't so inexpensive, but the fact that it's a one time license and no maintenance renewal required makes it even better. Compared to OrCAD and Altium, Diptrace is a steal by a couple orders of magnitude. Honestly, I'd happily pay more, especially if it meant more frequent updates and new features.

Don't take the criticism of some people here to hard. It's a lot easy to tear something down than build it up, and mad people are generally louder than happy people. I'm sure most people, like me, have a very high opinion of Diptrace, and have recommended it to several people already.

P.S.
Did you guys ever take a look at freerouting.net? The built in router in Diptrace is good, but I always exported my board and ran it through the freerouter for a few days. It always came up with more optimized and cleaner looking routing, and when it didn't the push/shove routing saved a lot of time and effort. Like, a lot, a lot. The code is free and open source now, I have a copy of it also. It's java based, but I really think Diptrace could benefit by looking at some of it's algorithms!

Thanks again! You guys are great!!

slowertech

#15 Post by slowertech » 19 Aug 2015, 07:05

Yeah, you guys are awesome! This is the only package I have used and immediately liked.
Thank you for the hotkey update too!!

It would be cool though to know if interactive routing or teardrops might be coming anytime soon. :p
+ if more symbols and footprints will be added in the next bid update.
I looked at freerouting on youtube, the push and shove routing looks nifty.

gen3eng

#16 Post by gen3eng » 19 Aug 2015, 09:12

novarm44 wrote: The next version will be 3.0.
The price for commercial Extended, Full and probably Standard Editions will be raised a bit due to high-speed capabilities.
If you ordered/upgraded 1.x or 2.x before May 1, 2015 - upgrade will cost 25% of the full price, after May 1, 2015 - the uprade will be free.
So if you order 2.4 after May 1, 2015 and before release of 3.0, the price of 3.x for you will be the same as 2.x.
Just to be clear, if I buy the version 2.4 (full edition) today, what will it cost me to upgrade to 3.0 when it is released?

I am very excited to try out the Beta release!

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#17 Post by novarm44 » 19 Aug 2015, 10:41

Just to be clear, if I buy the version 2.4 (full edition) today, what will it cost me to upgrade to 3.0 when it is released?
It will cost nothing!

Teardrops are probably will be added in the next minor release after 3.0 (we may consider them for 3.0 as well, but we would like to release 3.0 as soon as possible), interactive routing is the next large feature after high-speed and probably implementation will take some time. Currently one of our developers works on improving auto-router - I will point him to freerouting.net, but I suppose that can be not very useful due to different routing principles (we try orthogonal topological routing).

Tomg
Expert

#18 Post by Tomg » 19 Aug 2015, 11:12

Isn't the guy who created freerouting embroiled in a legal battle with one of the larger PCB CAD companies over the source code? Or is it someone else?
Tom

john coloccia

#19 Post by john coloccia » 19 Aug 2015, 12:47

Tomg wrote:Isn't the guy who created freerouting embroiled in a legal battle with one of the larger PCB CAD companies over the source code? Or is it someone else?
I don't think embroiled is the right word. I think he basically just walked away from it. As far as I know, Freerouting doesn't exist anymore. Maybe it's an open source project somewhere. I don't know. It's just as well. My personal feeling on it is I'd rather see more energy go into fixing the real problems in the interface and making manual routing easier. I think an awful lot of us route boards by hand almost exclusively, and if we do use the auto-router it's for some very specific, plug and chug kinds of things that even a bad auto-router can handle with no problem.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#20 Post by novarm44 » 19 Aug 2015, 18:43

Isn't the guy who created freerouting embroiled in a legal battle with one of the larger PCB CAD companies over the source code? Or is it someone else?
We will not use any part of their source code without asking copyright owner/buying OEM license anyway.
My personal feeling on it is I'd rather see more energy go into fixing the real problems in the interface and making manual routing easier. I think an awful lot of us route boards by hand almost exclusively, and if we do use the auto-router it's for some very specific, plug and chug kinds of things that even a bad auto-router can handle with no problem.

The auto-router is made not by key-developers, so that doesn't touch main development process. Key developer is currently engaged in high-speed.